refitting floor boards old or new holes for nails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am mid way through ripping up square edge boards insulating and relaying with the aim to have sanded boards. I have bought cut clasp nails to reattach the boards.

The question is do I use the old holes that have had a nail ripped through it or make a new hole for the nail. If the nails had not ripped through then I would have gone in the old holes but I now wonder if they will be too large to hold the new nail.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Sponsored Links
blimey haven't used cut nails for years,i normally use lost heads.
as for using the old holes,WHY? you want to hold the timber to the joist if you use the old holes once movement takes over the boards will soon be loose and your have to do it all again,so save yourself a job and make a new hole.

Have you considered flipping the boards when they are up on a bench/trestle and sanding the fresh reverse side with a belt sander?

Might be too late but you should have marked the position of each board as it was lifted. Mark the waste side to correspond with a rough sketch mp.

Dont use cut nails, as above, you would be best countersinking your nails.

Clip and secure all pipework and cables while the floor is up. Mark their positions for safe nailing - use tape.

Walk on a sanded floor in your socks.

Experiment with any stain or sealer/finish before applying to the sanded floor.

Sponsored Links
Use countersunk screws.

Neater, tighter, and easier next time they have to come up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back