Refitting radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Had a radiator off the wall to allow for replastering etc.
Came to put it back on the wall today but really struggling to get one end resealed.
Some pics of the problem connection.

Had two or three goes at it today.

Originally it was a clean join, I tried just connecting back up but it kept weeping. I had it pretty tight and didn’t want to overtighten.
Tried PTFE tape a couple of times next but struggling to get it in place.
On the rad side, the nut won’t go far back, so not making access easy there.
On the valve side I had wrapped it round part on the thread edge, then wrapped the other inside. But I think as I’m tightening the nut, it’s ripping it out of place.

I don’t want something permanent ideally, are there any joining compounds that are non permanent, that you’d recommend?
Never know if I’d need to take off again in the future.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Those union fittings are usually quite reliable. No PTFE or jointing compound needed ,check both mating surfaces have no damage, and are clean and smooth. Ensure the rad and valve are in alignment . Your rad appears to be quite a distance from the valve ?
Then it's just a matter of tightening up sufficiently ,in doing so ,secure the valve body with grips whilst tightening up the union nut. That will prevent the valve being twisted/ strained on the Pipework.

Thanks for reply.

Had tried to give both surfaces a clean up. Used a wire brush.
I can have another go.
What would you recommend? Would something like emery paper be ok or too abrasive?

Yes, they do seem to be slightly misaligned also. I would say the rad side is about at 5 o’clock relative to the valve body. There’s only a bit of play in the valve/pipe work side also.

Wire wool is better ,if you have any. Nothing too abrasive.
The rad looks as though it could be slid across the brackets a tad to take it a bit closer to the valve.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back