Refugees without ID documentation

Seems to be one where the young men stay to fight and the women, children and elderly seek asylum. Maybe that attracts more sympathy than boat loads of 20 year old men leaving their families and legging it.
So you object to fast and efficient processing ?

Sponsored Links
In one important sense, refugees are homeless by definition. It is their flight from war or persecution in their countries of origin that has brought them to the UK. But the current shortage of affordable housing, combined with immigration policy changes and huge pressure on council budgets, means that asylum seekers and those whose claims have been granted are more vulnerable than ever to becoming rough sleepers. A recent report by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation estimated that 400,000 of about 1.8m destitute households (those lacking two or more essentials) are migrants. It also noted that recent arrivals are most at risk and predicted that the Illegal Migration Act will lead to a further surge in homeless asylum seekers. The Red Cross suggests as many as 50,000 people could be affected.

One change in particular is responsible for exacerbating a dire situation. Since August, the notice given to successful asylum claimants to vacate their Home Office accommodation has been cut. Previously, the 28-day “move-on” period started when they received a biometric residence permit (BRP). Now, the clock starts ticking on receipt of the letter informing them that their claim has been accepted. But since they need a BRP to claim benefits and access services such as banking, the revised rules ask for the impossible. Once the permit arrives, refugees have as little as a week to find a source of income and a place to live. Given that universal credit has a built-in 35-day delay, the policy has the effect of turning successful claimants on to the street.

Comment is Free@theGrunadia

We then moved on to Rwanda. Labour’s Diana Johnson wanted to know when the small boats would be stopped. By now, Sunak was at peak tetchiness. Quick to take offence. Quick to tell everyone they were asking the wrong questions. “I’ve never said I would stop the boats,” he snapped.

5814.jpg

Another major triumph. Apparently.

John Crace@TheeGarudnia

We then moved on to Rwanda. Labour’s Diana Johnson wanted to know when the small boats would be stopped. By now, Sunak was at peak tetchiness. Quick to take offence. Quick to tell everyone they were asking the wrong questions. “I’ve never said I would stop the boats,” he snapped.

5814.jpg

Another major triumph. Apparently.

John Crace@TheeGarudnia
You got a link to the meeting. I reckon it'd be worth watching, judging by the report.
I think I've got it.
Except it keeps saying "the proceedings will start shortly".
Maybe Sunak's hiding.

Sponsored Links
John Crace on form again.
At this rate they'll be looking to see if he's any skeletons in his cupboard.

Keeps getting a free ride in the press and these committees on his links to Moderna.
Concentrating on the boats is working in that respect.

John Crace on form again.
At this rate they'll be looking to see if he's any skeletons in his cupboard.

Well, there is one addiction in his life that's become difficult to do anything about.

He's tried therapy.

Interventions haven't worked.

Counselling and constant nagging from his wife won't budge the monkey off his back.

What can you do?

His unbreakable bond with Tottenham Hotspur will be the death of him.

From the link:

But after opposition parties refused to even debate the immigration bill in parliament last week, a compromise text was swiftly drawn up by a special parliamentary committee. As a result, the centrist government put forward a much tougher, right-wing bill which reduced access to welfare benefits for foreigners, toughened rules for foreign students, introduced migration quotas, made it harder for the children of non-nationals born in France to become French, and ruled that dual nationals sentenced for serious crimes against the police could lose French citizenship.

Within Macron’s centrist grouping, scores of MPs voted against the bill or abstained, revealing deep divisions particularly on the left of Macron’s own centrist Renaissance party. Sacha Houlié, a key figure on the left of Macron’s party, who had led the special committee on the law, voted against it.

A key part of the bill was that some social security benefits for foreigners should be conditional on having spent five years in France, or 30 months for those with jobs. The left-wing opposition said this amounted to Macron copying the controversial central manifesto pledge of decades of far-right politics under Jean-Marie Le Pen and his daughter Marine Le Pen: the notion of “national preference” in which benefits and housing should be “for the French first”.

"France First."

I wonder where they got that idea?:unsure:

Citizens of French Overseas Territories still have a right of residency in mainland France because they are still French citizens.
Similarly, of course, French mainland citizens have a right of residency in French Overseas territories.

In addition, a visa to remain in France as a FIP (financially independent person) (for non-French and non-EU residents) only requires an income equal or greater than the minimum wage.

Citizens of French Overseas Territories still have a right of residency in mainland France because they are still French citizens.
So a refugee escaping from Islamic terrorists in Mali have an automtic right to remain in La Belle France?

So a refugee escaping from Islamic terrorists in Mali have an automtic right to remain in La Belle France?
If it's a French Overseas Territory, they're French citizens, with the full rights of French citizens residing in mainland France.

I suspect that Mali is no longer a French Overseas Territory.

Mali is not listed as a French Overseas Territory.
Often named by the acronym DROM-COM, the ‘Overseas Departments and Regions – Overseas Collectivities’ refer collectively to all land under French sovereignty outside mainland France:
  • The Islands of Guadeloupe, ]Martinique, Saint-Martin., Saint-Barthélemy, Saint Pierre and Miquelon
  • Reunion island, the French Southern and Antarctic Lands
  • French Polynesia,New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna
The French Overseas Territories cover almost 120 000 km² and are home to more than 2.6 million people.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back