Refurbing an old wooden box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a really old blanket box that I want to make into a toy box. It has a cushioned top covered in fabric and the sides are also covered in fabric.

The main issue is that the hinges are not safe for a toddler- any idea if I can get 'safe' hinges, that won't slam shut on my little boys fingers?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
hi,see if you can get something like a compression hinge,sometimes used on kitchen doors,or put a soft closing stopper on again used on kitchen doors.

Thanks for that- I will pop into our local diy place and ask for a compression hinge.

the other type to consider would be a gas hinge - the type that have a little piston attached - you find them on some kitchen cupboard doors that open upwards.

this type of opener would keep the lid open and have a slow closing mechanism whne closing

Sponsored Links
blum type 3 softclose mechanism drilled into the top surface near the hinge side will slow down the last part of the drop
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Products/Hinges/Cabinet_Hinges/10891/Blum_Clip_On_Hinges/#

fingerwizard should stop trapped fingers on the hinge side but watch the ends, they will be unprotected
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...87/FingerWizard_Full_Set___Hinge_and_Knuckle/

if you use a proprietary mechanism for vertical lift kitchen cupboards, be aware that your lid will probably weigh several times more than the one it is designed for and they may not function right.

same for the blum soft close mechanism above, you may need to use 4 or even 6. the price is for pack of 5 by the way they don't make that clear.

the americans have a great range of hardware don't they? are you thinking of importing them? they have several products listed there specifically for the purpose of chest lid hinges / dampers. know the weight and size of your lid and you should be able to choose one.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to import them- I think I will take a print out to my local DIY place and see if they sell them there. They are very good for helping out novice clueless females like myself!

Next question....

How would I prepare the wood for painting? I am thinking sanding? Then I want to paint it white and then paint a picture on it- can I just use regular white paint? And how do I seal it?

well best of luck. if they do have them then please let me know the shop, it must be very good!
yes sand it down working through the grades of sandpaper from coarse (if it needs it or you want to get rid of every blemish) up to about 80 or 100. then a coat of primer or 10-20% diluted emulsion paint. then you can gloss, eggshell whatever you want. fine sandpaper 320-400 lightly between coats for the best finish.
alternatively oil or wax if the wood is nice.

Will do- they are an Aladdin Cave of all things DIY! (Things are packed right up to the ceiling and it is the dustiest shop I have ever been in!).

Thanks for the advice on painting it. I am actually looking forward to doing this project now. I was worried I would end up doing it when my son is all grown up but hopefully now he will get it in time for his 1st birthday!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back