Door slam dampeners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put some of those little dampener things from screwfix when I last revamped the kitchen about 6 years ago.
Over that time oil has gradually leaked out of some making them less effective, and plastic frame broken on one when a teen slammed the door even harder (fixed it with nailfree :oops: ).

So while at B&Q recently buying new cutlery tray for most recent kitchen updates, I bought some new ones.
They were same make (Salice) but for about a quid more per pack, you could get the self adhesive ones which have the little button things being much harder to push back in IYKWIM.

I'm not daft, I don't expect them to stay on with just the tape that is on them (there is a screw hole too). But the little box that holds the piston also looks better and fits nicely into a corner, because it has a 1mm edge around it to help position it squarely.

So, having worked out that these ones go on hinge side of door rather than just act as glorified buffer pads like the old ones, am still having problems, in that, on some cupboards I've sampled them on, the door doesn't quite close fully. It closes slowly than stays about 6mm open unlesss you go back and push it a bit.

Could this be because the doors are too lightweight (oak frame with 5mm thick panel centre), or the hinges not springy enough (certainly slammed well enough before)?
Or is it because the little box has that tiny edge around it that helps position it so neatly and is acting like an un-rebated hinge?

Only, they do work nicely on an Ikea varde cabinet with larger/heavier door.
And also on one cupboard that made myself, where I attached it under the shelf so is about 5mm way from door when closed. But unfortunatlty the other cupboards have the shelves set about 15mm back.
But that really useful edge for fitting means they have to go flush on edge side of conti board. So can't just set them back a bit.

What I am really hoping somebody will say is; that they will loose some of the springyness after a couple of weeks and I will no longer have to keep pushing doors shut. (Have left one on for 4 days now and that hasn't happened yet though).

TIA

(Bit of a long post for niggly little thing sorry!)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back