Hinge problem - door not opening fully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a 'professional' chippy make some cupboard doors for me.

Unfortunately when they open the edges catch on the cupboard next to them and I can only open them about 45 degrees.

All the other cupboard have hinges that are recessed into a hole drilled into the doors but these doors have a groove on the visible side and the chippy reckons if he puts in a hole like the others the 'wood' will split as the hole will be too close to the visible side.

Are there hinges that will open the doors in such as way as they will not foul the cupboard next to them without being recessed into holes?

Hope my vague explanation makes sense!

Help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's not easy to tell, from your description, what is going on here. Is it possible to post a photo? What is the thickness of the cupboard door in question, and the depth of the 'groove'?

If the door is hinged using butt hinges (you don't say whether or not that's the case) the answer may be to use parliament hinges instead, which move the hinge pin (and therefore the fulcrum point) away from the cupboard edge.

OK -I knew my description was rubbish...

The hinges are like this (clickable).....

And the problem is this - they catch on the next cupboard and only open 45 degrees....

This is what the 'good' hinges on the other (standard) cupboards are. The reason my chippy is not willing to drill holes is (a) I'm not sure he has the equipment/confidence (b) Because I have has these made and there is a 'groove' that reduced the overall width - he reckons putting a hole in will make the wood split.

Groove - I've had these doors made to fit under the sink - all the others ones have a plain (non-grooved) bit round the outside...

Help appreciated - I have had nothing but trouble from my renovation - the reason I've had cupboards made is that the kitchen designer/fitter did not realise nothing would fit as he 'danced his own tune' and mixed up designs!

Sponsored Links
i am surprised he is frighten to drill holes all he needs is a 12mm template with a batton on the front edge to locate with a line to locate the dead centre off the hinge hole and a mark on the door to line up with the required hinge position
you can also put a mark on the jig to locate on the door top and bottom edges this saves you marking the doors at all except for central hinges

and yes thats the hinge

i am surprised he is frighten to drill holes all he needs is a 12mm template with a batton on the front edge to locate with a line to locate the dead centre off the hinge hole and a mark on the door to line up with the required hinge position
you can also put a mark on the jig to locate on the door top and bottom edges this saves you marking the doors at all except for central hinges

and yes thats the hinge

Hmmm.....not sure I follow you there - possibly beyond me!

Could I use that hinge instead of drilling a hole? Is it not much simpler if I can do that?

He has not been the best at 'details' so if he ain't happy I'm not going to pressure him as the panels we had to cut up were not cheap.

Not wild about attempting to find someone else - really struggle for decent tradesmen in Reading.

If I could find a hinge that does everything I would be happy - The toolstation ones only open 90 degrees - that would be OK but would prefer it if I could find some that opened further, or is that the compromise I make for not drilling the holes?

Should not be a problem drilling the doors as most consealed hinges only need the 35mm hole to be 12-13mm deep

Did you allow for each door to be 3-5mm smaller than half your carcase width as this will also have a bearing on how they fit

Jason

ok imagine you have a bit off mdf 6"x 12" with a 35mm hole in the middle

you line the hole up with an already drilled hole in a door
you then attach a batton along the the edge to hold its position from the edge off the door

you then whilst holding over the hole mark the top or bottom off the door onto the mdf you now line up the hole on the other end off the door and repeat the process

now you just line up the marks with the top or bottom off the door clamp into position with 2 clamps and blocks and drill to the correct depth checking nothing has moved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back