Cabinet Hinge measurements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attempting to build a small cupboard, out of mdf,my first attempt at this sort of thing.
Is there an accepted measurement when laying out and drilling the hinges, for the doors?
On the wardrobes i have, and in the kitchen cabinets, it looks like the hole for the door hinge is set back about 5mm, with the centre holes on the inside bracket about 35mm in from the edge.
Does this sound about right?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on the thickness of material , but for 18mm mdf the hinge hole is 4-5 mm in from the edge and the bracket on the side of cup'd 17mm from the edge to the very front of the plate.

Depends on the thickness of material , but for 18mm mdf the hinge hole is 4-5 mm in from the edge and the bracket on the side of cup'd 17mm from the edge to the very front of the plate.

ok thanks for that, i'm using 18mm mdf so i'll try it out on some scraps first.
Is there a set adjustment you would have to make to the measurements, if you were working wih say 12mm material?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You only need adjust for thicker timber, 12mm is too thin for those hinges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back