Are flush hinges any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a piece of chipboard that covers the electric meter around 3ft wide by 2ft.
It had a couple of hinges at the top which have fallen off due to the weight I guess.
Or maybe it happened when someone was working on the ekectrics because it's awkward to hold open and work on.
I bought some flush hinges but they have really tiny screws.

I wondered about cutting it in half and using 3 of those flush hinges each side so it's easier to work in there.
Would they be ok, or might it drop a little due to the weight.
Alternatively some kind of plastic channel that it could lift out of as access is not needed often.
Or any other ideas please I don't have much time or effort to spend on this.

Sponsored Links
You normally limit the width of doors on flush hinges to 600mm. Look around at finished products and I'll bet you won't find any flush hinged bedroom doors wider than that. Yes, by all means cut that 900mm wide door in two, but you will only need two hinges for each of the 450 x 600 doors you end up with

So in answer to your question, yes, flush hinges are good - but only if you keep within their load capacities

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Chipboard does not hold screws and therefor hinges very well.I would suggest replacing it .

On a meter cupboard it’s a good idea to screw the cover shut, can easily be unscrewed to work on And just leave an opening to allow meter to be read.

I mean these ones to be clear
Yes. They are the type still used for some wardrobe doors and they were once common on kitchen unit doors. As @foxhole says, the small screws used with them don't give a huge amount of holding power, but two of those per 450 x 600mm will suffice providing you fix into the face of the chipboard and not the edge

I've just completed some work on new builds where the room doors were hung on that type of hinges - however the room doors were fairly lightweight 32mm thick doors, there were 3 hinges per door, and both the door casings and the door edge strip were softwood and thus capable of taking reasonable size screws (4.0 x 35s)

If your doors are fully inset you will need either the cranked type flush hinges or you may need to change to something like kitchen-type hinges

Thanks for your help mate, I did think about kitchen type hinges, I'll have a look if I have any in the garage.

You need a 35mm hinge bit for most of them

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back