Hinge for tiled access panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wonder if there's a hinge to solve my particular problem.
I have recently refitted my bathroom and want to allow access to the back of the shower. This is currently a stud wall that is to be tiled.

The problem I'm facing is to get a type of hinge that will open in such a way that it will clear the flush tile work either side, it almost needs to pop out before hinging! When I say it, it sounds more and more impossible!

I've included a drawing below.

Thanks for any advice, I've not got too far along any one way at the moment, so other suggestions would be good too.

Simon

Sponsored Links
if its within the shower splash area it must be sealed
this can be the same silicon used for sealing elsewhere
no hinged door will work properly or look right it will always look like an access panel as the vertical join will be bigger

if its a cut the silicon and lift out panel you can get it space perfect

For the amount of times you'll actually need access, why not drop the hinge idea and just use screws with a domed cap..... locating into the studs, of course. Lightly grouting where the panel is means that the grout can be cut away without problems when you need to be in there.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Last one I did was with magnetic plastic catches around the perimeter, with a tiled ply panel, sealing it using white silicone to match the grout. Barely noticable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back