What hinges for home-made arcade control panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm needing to lean on your experience.... I'm currently building an arcade machine (my woodworking skills are pathetic but I'm having a go anyway!).

I want the control panel to be able to lift up on hinges so I can get underneath to change buttons etc if there's any problems.

I've bought some "Blum Soft Close Blumotion Inset Crank Hinges (71B3750)" and fitted them but the control panel only lifts about 30 deg as it fouls on the monitor bezel.

I can cut more away from the control panel to make it work but would rather have as tight a fit as possible between the control panel and the bezel.

I wondered if there were hinges that were available that can lift something up and away from the edge (see the photos to get an idea). Basically, I'm after hinges that would allow a small gap between the control panel and the bezel but allow it to lift up fully as the hinge would push the control panel out and away from the bezel when lifted?

Is there such a thing??

IMG_20200501_171023.jpg

IMG_20200501_171028.jpg

IMG_20200501_171209.jpg

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Traditionally I’ve seen piano hinges used as they are very strong and console front is usually heavily loaded with electronics.

uptown47, Good evening.

How about fixing a solid, non moving timber batten below the bezel, in effect you are "moving" the rotational point from close to / below the bezel to a point in "front" of the bezel.

May be worth looking at a piece of timber say 50.mm. square, that may allow you to get some distance between bezel and opening flap, and at 50.mm. deep the hinge should operate as intended??

Ken.

uptown47, Good evening.

How about fixing a solid, non moving timber batten below the bezel, in effect you are "moving" the rotational point from close to / below the bezel to a point in "front" of the bezel.

May be worth looking at a piece of timber say 50.mm. square, that may allow you to get some distance between bezel and opening flap, and at 50.mm. deep the hinge should operate as intended??

Ken.
Thanks Ken, that's definitely worth consideration. I'm going to work on it again tomorrow weather permitting so will look into this as a possible solution.

Sponsored Links
Traditionally I’ve seen piano hinges used as they are very strong and console front is usually heavily loaded with electronics.

Thanks for that Foxhole. I did consider a piano hinge but, ideally, I didn't want a hinge on view from the top. Which, to my limited understanding, it would be.

Thanks very much for taking the time to help. Much appreciated mate :)

Instead of being hinged, due to the issue with the panel behind it.
How about making it so it can be lifted out instead?
You can attach some chain/wire etc. so it does not get fully removed.

Thanks for that. I've bought some "Kitchen Cabinet Lift Up Flap Top Door Hinges" from Amazon so will give them a go when they get here on Monday.

Thanks for the suggestion. Your suggestion of 'coffee table hinges' (which I'd not heard of) drove me to finding those cabinet hinges which (hopefully) will work.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back