Hinging two fabric covered panels together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

I am fitting out a camper van and the bed is constructed of 18mm ply sheets hinged together in the middle. The ply sheets are covered in 3mm fabric and I want to hinge them together so they fold closed.

the problem is, with normal hinges they will need to be packed out to raise them up so that there is enough clearance for the fabric to ensure the panels go together evenly.

Ideally I'd like to use a hinge with some additional clearance 'built in' between the plates and the hinge itself so I can then recess the hinge plates into the ply whilst leaving enough space for the fabric so the sheets fold together cleanly.

anyone know of a sort of hinge that will do this? I imagine the hinge itself would need to be offset from the plate in some way...

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Put hinges on the face edge they will be more secure and not require spacing

hi limbo, im a caravan fitter, our bed boards are the same as yours, ply covered in 3mm poly/material, we latley have just been using butt hinges 3-2 1/2 inch hinges to cover about 600mm, all we do is put the boards side by side and screw the hinges to the face side of the boards, the hinges sink into the fabric and seem flush.
really is as simple as that :),

hope this helps
tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back