What kind of hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a narrow hinged vertical panel to the side of a tall cabinet door, but not sure what kind of hinge will do the job.

Without describing the whole project the idea is for the panel to lie along side and be connected to the 2m door making it wider, but fold in flat when the door is open, the insides together. Imagine it a bit like a bi-fold door without the top/bottom rails etc. Want a "door like" gap between the panel and the door when closed so from the front the panel looks like a narrow door. Door and panel 18mm particle board with veneer.

Should I use a continous/piano hinge? Would back flap hinges be better? is there some other concealed hinge, more like the kitchen cabinet hinges with euro mount, that would do the job. Totally confused what to look for.

Sponsored Links
I think that I'd go for a piano hinge, with the pivot between the boards. This would space the boards evenly, and also keep them in the same plane. If you use two or three separate hinges, the boards could become bowed between the hinges.
HTH

hinge
__________ ___________
_________ O____________
door | | door
_________| |____________

Sorry! The Preview had the "artwork" lined up, but the Submit changed it.

I think that I'd go for a piano hinge, with the pivot between the boards. This would space the boards evenly, and also keep them in the same plane. _
That makes sense. Piano hinge was my first thought then I looked at the hardware catalogs and got confused. Only concern is with securing it to particle board, made me think some kind of inserted disc hinge could be better if I could find one that folded right. The medial flap hinges I found only did 90 deg rather than 180. Then they didn't seem to use piano hinges on folding doors either, but most systems are for thick domestic doors not a wardrobe... My fault for such an odd project!

Sponsored Links
A piano hinge would be fastened to the face of the particle board. The edge of particle board is not easy to fix to; screws are not likely to hold, and neither are barrel hinges. The only way to fix to the edge would be by cross-dowelling, and screwing into the dowels.

End fixing would be a bad idea. But will the piano hinge like being vertical carrying weight of panel? Could I use Zysa hinges but mounted into the inner face? Door and panel in line when hinge is open, and folded insides together when hinge closed?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
All comments are welcome, OP has only 18mm veneered board to work with so needs something small, our office desks use to use 4 of the barrel hinges on the service flap at rear of desk which was just 90mm wide and OP is fitting a small section so very light weight?.
The barrels are just one option of many.

Whatever is done it's tricky on a door that thickness. I will say that the type I have linked to are more trouble to fit. I've got a jig for working on the edge with a router, makes it a bit easier.

I much appreciate the contributions, thanks.

The panel will weigh about 5kg, possibly not as light as you were thinking. Anyone surface rather than end mounted the Zysa, barrel or sos types of hinge? What loads can they take?

The panel will weigh about 5kg, possibly not as light as you were thinking. Anyone surface rather than end mounted the Zysa, barrel or sos types of hinge? What loads can they take?
Soss hinges can take fairly large loads, even doors - there are different sizes - BUT they need a router and a jig to install. I'm not keen on installing them into anything other than solid wood. They're also expensive

A 2m long piano hinge, surface mounted vertically, will bear 5kg.
Thanks, I think I will be going piano.

The exotic hinges look interesting but the need for a jig and expense has put me off. Any issues with fitting piano hinges? Intend to screw to inner face of door and panel, short screws for the 18mm depth anything else to watch with veneered chipboard?

Any issues with fitting piano hinges? Intend to screw to inner face of door and panel, short screws for the 18mm depth anything else to watch with veneered chipboard?
Only one - the screws. Try to get yourself something called "classic" screws or piano hinge screws. These have much smaller shallower countersunk heads and are specifically made for use with piano hinges. Not all manufacturers produce them - and they are mainly a trade stockist thing as opposed to a DIY shed item. They sit flatter, work better and look better than standard screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back