Cabinet Door Hinge Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought this pine cabinet and need to make some modifications because of where it is going in the house.

Heres the cabinet...

$(KGrHqR,!ogFHwEiU0SrBR9WEH5qmg~~60_12.JPG

At the moment on the upper section, each door opens out to the side on hinges. Where it needs to go, the door wont open enough on the right side.

So, I was thinking of taking off the hinges on the right side, and putting some hinges in between the two doors. The When you open the left side door, the right side door would fold inwards and both doors then fold out on the left side.

Hope that makes sense!

Would this work, and what type of hinge would I need for the middle? There is a small gap between the doors, maybe 4mm.

Sponsored Links
the problem is you are more than doubling the load due to leverage
the hinges may or may not take the extra weight

my suggestion would be to use a piano hinge between the doors
and double up on the top hinge by fixing a second hinge 2" below the other

i would also use a roller ball catch on the side as this will support the door in the correct position

you may have to lift the door slightly into position to sit in the catch

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Twin+Roller+Catch/p42384
toolstation also do piano hinges but in packs off 10 :eek: at around £17
homebase/b&q wicks ect will be around £3 for 1 you will need no4x1/2" or 3mmx12mm screws
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Twinthread+Countersunk+Pozi+Screw/p55623

just save the hinges in case it starts to work loose

and use the screws i suggested for the roller catch as well as the ones supplied are made from toffee

Sponsored Links
If you order b/4 8 pm they will deliver next day if that's any help. I doubt any sheds will stock them.

if you do use a piano hinge get a bradawl
cut the hinge to length
fold the hinge over the edge ["L" shape] hold in place and with the bradawl mark every 3rd hole centrally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back