Retro Fit Kitchen Cabinet doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Purchase some B&Q Kitchen Doors to fit onto existing Kitchen Cupboards.

Once the original door hinge is fixed to the new door the hinge doesnt line up with the cabinet fixing holes

Any tips for fitting kitchen doors ?

Should i purchase B&Q hinges ?

At the moment the Door hangs ( fixing to the Right ) low to the Left Ie 2 " gap from left to right down to 10mm

many thanks

Sponsored Links
The hinges not being in the "correct" place has nothing to do with whether or not you use B&Q hinges (which if they are still using FGV are in any case a load of crap). It's down to different manufacturers adopting different standards. If you are going to replace hinges then I'd recommend going to a food quality clip-on type hinge with a Euro screw (5mm drilling required) such as Hettich or Blum, although if your existing hinges are OK then why not persist with them?

To hang your new doors you'll need to get a sliding square or a combination square to mark-out for this, although Woodfit also do a jig to help you as well. The main thing to understand is that the cruciform mounting plate drillings are 32mm apart vertically and 37mm inset from the front of the carcass.

To proceed with a combination square, do as follows:

Offer up the door to the carcass and mask-off the edge where the hinge drillings are with masking tape. Remove the existing cruciform plates. Measure the distance from the bottom edge of the door to the centre line of the lower hinge, and also from the bottom of the door to the centre line of the upper hinge (this measurement MUST be taken from the BOTTOM of the door). Add 2 to 3 mm to those measurements (what we call the reveal - doors are always about 5mm shorter than the cabinets they are going onto), then transfer the centre positions to the edge ot the carcass, again measuring from the bottom of the carcass. Measure out 16mm above and below the hinge centre lines and strike horizontal lines across the front edges of the carcass sides using the square. Strike horizontal lines approximately 40mm or so into to carcass from these four lines (again I'd use masking tape before doing this). Then set the engineers sliding square up so that you can mark a line parallel to the front edge of the carcass side, inset by 37mm. Draw a vertical line which bisects your horizontal lines and you have the new drilling centres for your cruciform plates.

If there are problems with getting decent drilling points Woodfit also do a hinge repair plate which may be of assistance. Expensive, but I always carry a few in my kit.

I know all the foregoing is a bit of a faff, but nobody does a jig to mark out easily (there is a Blum jig but it only works if you have the worktops off!) and this is the process I had to follow before building my own jig to do the job. Personally I prefer to buy undrilled doors and drill thenm to match the existing hinge plates on the carcasses.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back