Hinged lid/door on vintage radio cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm repurposing a vintage radio cabinet as a modern stereo cabinet and TV console. As my components will reside inside the cabinet, replacing the original stereo components, I need to be able to access their front control panels while the TV is atop the door/lid. I want to do this by cutting the top lid into two pieces and hinging it so that I can fold open just the front half.

I'm looking for some help in how to do this — mainly in what kind of hinges I would need to install in order to have the front half fold back upon the back half, without the hinges showing on the top side of the lid (if this is possible). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_2343.JPG
radio cabinet.jpg

Sponsored Links
Would it not make more sense for the front half of the lid to fold outwards towards you, rather than up into the TV which is kinda in the way? This would simplify the hinging. Otherwise what you want is a 'concealed hinge'. There are many types.
22514-5480607.jpg

Last edited:
So it's a hidden piano hinge. If such a thing could exist

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
In that "pivot hinge" example above, the hinges would attach at the inner sides, where the shorter cuts are made, yes?

I hadn't thought about the lid opening toward me. Interesting idea. Though, in that scenario, I think I'd need to add two things: 1) Some kind of surface knob in order to pull it open from the center, where it's cut, and 2) Something to hold up the front half (where it's cut from the back half) when it's down, because it would no longer be supported underneath at that point. I suppose that a small lip/rest on both sides would be easy enough.

Someone recommended I take a look at barrel hinges.

For a moment I thought about just mounting the TV on the wall behind the console and saving the trouble. But, we rearrange furniture enough that that would almost be more impractical.

Why not mount tv on a timber screwed to rear of unit , you could then move the unit keeping the tv above.

An alternative to hinging would be for the front part to slide forward using telescoping desk slide rails. Small slide rails could be recessed into the side edges of the moving panel.

Soss hinges. Make sure you've got enough ventilation in the back of the unit for whatever you are putting in there.

Last edited:
Soss hinges. Make sure you've got enough ventilation in the back of the unit for whatever you are putting in there.
That was my initial thought, but didn't think the top looked meaty enough.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It's given me a lot of options to consider.

Regarding the thickness of the lid and Soss hinges, it's 7/8" thick.

there you go that's the answer, didn't know they went that small. Indeed carful fitting , I would use a router with a double fence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back