Hinges for wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We've started building framework for built on wardrobes.
Because our ceiling height is 2300 we were planning on using IKEA approx 2 m high doors , but want the framework floor to ceiling, planning to somehow " fill " the gap between top of the door and ceiling.
We wanted to try to avoid having lots of separate units internally, especially as the widths we're working with at the side of a door opening and chimney breast aren't multiples of 500 , plus we only want them about 500mm deep.
We've constructed a 100mm high base/ bottom for the first wardrobe which we planned to use 2x 500 doors on. One end is behind the room door and the other will be up against a stud wall.
Sadly we've realised that we possibly needed to make the base wider than 1000mm ( external dim'). Reason is that we're using 38 x 89 uprights for the hinges to attach to ( the 89 is to allow for the depth of the hinge), set inside the edges of the base ( to attach a side panel to where needed) , so with a regular 90° hinge , when the doors are closed there'll be approx 20 mm of the frame visible.
Is there a type of hinge thats adjustable to allow a door to cover more than 18mm of cabinet frame?
Thought we could set the 89x 38 slightly back off the front, and attach an 18mm wide batten to for hinge attachment , but would still need the depth for the hinge, unless we can get hinges that aren't as long.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Sorry, I'm finding your description a bit hard to follow :)
Is there a possibility of any photos / drawings?
Personally, I have had fun cutting IKEA cupboard doors to fit under the stairs.
If your doors sit proud of the frame, I would cut some smaller ones to fill the gap to the ceiling.

Hi,
Sorry, I'm finding your description a bit hard to follow :)
Is there a possibility of any photos / drawings?
Personally, I have had fun cutting IKEA cupboard doors to fit under the stairs.
If your doors sit proud of the frame, I would cut some smaller ones to fill the gap to the ceiling.
Sorry It's the frame dimensions and what to use to construct the frame, especially regarding hinge attachment. We'd prefer to have as little frame showing as possible, like you would have with a run of kitchen units, but we don't want all the internal divisions.
We've created a rectangular base ( frame on the floor with furniture board on the top) and plan to attach plain MDF skirting to front and the side that's not against a stud wall. Call it a plinth if you will.
Dimensions of the base are 1000mm x 500mm
We were going to use 38 X 89 CLS timber uprights from the ceiling ( obviously create a frame on the ceiling first ) down onto the top of the base, one in each front corner and one central ( we wanted the doors all hinged on the left).
Thinking of the left hand door , but same applies elsewhere, we realised that when we attached the hinges to the right side ( 89mm dimension) of the left upright, when closed the left hand edge of the door wouldn't be flush with the left hand edge of the upright because the hinges are designed for 18mm frames. , therefore the base width of 1000mm was too small for 2x 500mm doors. Our base actually needed to be approx 1040 wide ( I think)
Anyway, we've modified it all and using smaller timbers inset from the edges of the base, to which we'll attach sheets of 18mm MDF and fix the hinges to that.
We're fine doing that in this bedroom as we're only building a 1000 wide on one side of a doorway into the bathroom, and a 500 into an alcove on the other side that's 570mm wide.
In the other bedroom the wall is about 4m , with a 400mm x 400mm ( approx) chimney breast at 1300mm in from the left.
You're probably no wiser now than before.

Sponsored Links
You only need 18mm mdf to frame the cupboard,
makes use of the kitchen style hinges on IKEA doors , did that in several bedrooms.
Can you open the doors please? Just wondering what your hinges are attached to ? Presumably 18mm MDF, but what if you want to fill a wall that's not exact multiples of 500mm? What is the MDF fixed to?
In those photos the wardrobes are filling alcoves I think. What would you use/ how would you construct a frame to take the MDF if you weren't building in an alcove?

My understair cupboards used 110° inset hinges supported by a frame on one side and the stair post on the other.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07JFNVF1J
20210919_220225.jpg

Can you open the doors please? Just wondering what your hinges are attached to ? Presumably 18mm MDF, but what if you want to fill a wall that's not exact multiples of 500mm? What is the MDF fixed to?
In those photos the wardrobes are filling alcoves I think. What would you use/ how would you construct a frame to take the MDF if you weren't building in an alcove?
None off my alcoves suited IKEA doors so mdf is used to reduce all dimensions to suit doors.
For free standing unit mdf side panels are used just like you create a kitchen cupboard .
image.jpg image.jpg Here I used kitchen doors to hide and under stairs cupboard .

image.jpg Here constructed mdf storage using mdf again for entire structure ( routed for panel and draw effect)
Mdf is fixed to walls internally , no framing timbers are required .

...another option is to build out the sides in plasterboard, so it looks as if the cupboards are built into the wall.
Here is my front bedroom:
20200805_163325.jpg
20200805_163338.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back