Inset hinges for under stairs cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time building a cupboard and wondering if inset hinges would work for this design?

1664744259101.jpeg

Would inset hinges give the door enough "throw" so that it would open given the position of the newel post?

I'm thinking of creating the door out of plywood. Not sure on the thickness yet. The opening is around 1 metre in length and will fit into the opening below a 45 deg. staircase.

I was thinking maybe 12 - 18 mm ply for the door then making the panelling design from 9 mm mdf.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Would inset hinges give the door enough "throw" so that it would open given the position of the newel post?
Yep, it should work!
Although the thickness of your door material may have an impact.
I used inset hinges for my cupboard under the stairs, with standard thickness IKEA wardrobe doors, cut to shape, rather than creating my own.

Edit:
Sorry, just reread your post - so the door thickness may be 27mm in all?
I think this will be out of clearance for most inset hinges and you'll be looking at 'Thick door' hinges.

...and a 1m wide door will require a lot of space to open and walk around.

Last edited:
I think Parliament hinges would do it, and not get in the way in your layout.

I think Parliament hinges would do it, and not get in the way in your layout.
a good leading edge [chamfered back edge] as well as with a parliamentary hinge the exposed knuckle [pivot point ]to door back edge is the equivalent off door thickness
also sloping top edge you need to avoid a point at the top hinge side or the point will not work on opening

Sponsored Links
Can you get Parliament hinges for a 27mm door? Only ever fitted them on stuff like bank doors (e.g. 50mm thick and above). I'm also concerned that the stile half of the hinge would need to be sunk into the newel post unless a 4 to 6mm gap on that edge of the door was acceptable, or a thin stile could be fixed to the newel to accommodate the thickness of the hinge recessed plus
say, 12mm or so (based on the fact that every Parliament hinge I've ever seen is a lot thicker than the equivalent fire butt hinge)

Thanks for the replies which I have read and they have helped me to rethink + generate some new ideas.

I just remeasured the door and it's dimensions are (cm) width 75 x height 130 with a 45 deg. slope.

I had a look at this:

Firstly, would that hinge to the job?

Looking at the charts on the data sheet:

1664800242479.png

Is the bore distance the distance to the edge of the bore of the centre? I presume it's the edge.

What sort of gap should be aiming for to have a nice neat finish?

Likewise, for the opening clearance:

1664799901184.png

As my door will open onto the newel post I'm not sure what opening clearance I need.

I could start with some 18mm ply for the actual door and then make my panelling design from 6mm MDF potentially?

I think 18mm is the starting point as the bore depth for those hinges is 15mm.

This would give me a 0.1 mm (?) opening clearance if I have interpreted the chart above correctly.

Ideally I would have some 18mm ply for the door then finish it off close to the floor with some 18mm thickness skirting, but this would give a total depth of the door of 36mm so not sure if that would work. I think that is where the chamfering comes into play. I could certainly chamfer the edge of the skirting if needed.

Also, any thoughts on how many hinges I would need?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back