Under Stair Storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Im in the process of creating an under stair storage cupboard
and would like to fit skirting to the bottom of an outward opening door serving the cupboard.
As the skirts are 20mm thick, it would bind on adjacent fixed skirting to hinge side of stud wall.
Are there any hinges available to prevent this happening?
I don't want to have to leave a 20 mm gap in the fixed skirt,
nor do I like the idea of mitring the 2 ends of the adjoining skirts back at 45*
Any help, ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
It may not be practical for what you have in mind but you could also run the skirting straight across and have the bottom edge of the door just above the skirting line . That way there are no vertical joints in the skirting.
Alternatively I have seen skirtings cut with a mitre. At the closing side it is cut longer than the door edge to overlap a mitre on the wall skirting and at the hinge side the wall skirting overlaps the door skirting . To do this the mitre is cut on a different line from the hinge (I.e. Wider than the door) and the bottom of the frame cut out to give swinging room for mitre that extends beyond the door edge. Hope this makes sense.

I considered those initially as they would've been ideal because they're concealed.
Problem is that they wouldn't stop the skirts binding on hinge side.
It would be great if I could find something similar which actually brings the door in about an inch as it swings.

Sponsored Links
Cutting the skirts with the overlapping mitres is something I hadnt considered.
Its a good idea and may possibly do this.
I would have been happy to have fixed skirts and doors just above,
but my wife wants clear door openings to be able to roll things straight through.

I considered those initially as they would've been ideal because they're concealed.
Problem is that they wouldn't stop the skirts binding on hinge side.
It would be great if I could find something similar which actually brings the door in about an inch as it swings.
165 degree kitchen hinges swing the door out, you could simply make the gap at skirting 10mm each end shorter than the door which also help prevent binding, just means the doorway width at floor level is reduced 20mm.

Use a "cranked hinge". For example, with this one:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...ranked_type_1_flush_hinge_brass_plated/843767

The door will be 20mm "out" at 90 degrees, so you would need to put a 20mm radius on the fixed skirting. With a hinge with a greater crank you would need to trim less, and could open beyond 90 degrees.

You might be able to find a suitable kitchen cabinet hinge, but I think the combined thickness of door plus skirting will be more than most are designed for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back