calling jason b! concealed hinge question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i thought you would be the guy for the best answer!

I closed in my under stairs last year with a 3x2 frame clad in 18mm mdf. There is a door cut into this which is flush with the face of the mdf but has 18mm thick skirting along the bottom. When i construced this i used normal butt hinges on the door but i dont like the look and also the skirting has to be cut back from the edge of the door by 18mm so it can open without fouling on the skirting.

I want to redo this as i want to make the opening bigger but want to lose the butt hinges for a cleaner look. are there any hinges that will throw back 36mm??

I hope that makes sense!

Any help would be great.
lee

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is anything that will go to 36mm, Blum do make a hinge for thick or profiled doors but that goes to 32mm, you may be able to gain a bit by playing with mounting plate heights, edge drilling distance and corner radius but I don't think it will work.

Have a look at page 20 of this pdf for the hinge
http://www.blum.co.uk/pdf/katalog/ka090_en/02/KA090-KP-002.pdf

Jason

Thanks jason,

I think im stuck on this one! maybe ill rip the skirting down to 14mm on this short run and use the hinges you have suggested.

Many thanks for the quick reply

Thanks jason,

I think im stuck on this one! maybe ill rip the skirting down to 14mm on this short run and use the hinges you have suggested.

Many thanks for the quick reply

if you do rip down the skirting remember your mitres will need to be 4mm nearer to the end on your full thickness board
in other words you need to cut the corner off stopping 4mm from the back edge or the thinner skirting wont match it will only match iff pulled off the wall by 4 mm ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice B.A.

But one end of the skirting butts up to the newel post and the other is an internal corner. Also my skirting is just square edged with no profile!

even flat timber is effected if your mitering as you would have 4mm off 45degrees cut edge showing if you dont take my advice above ;)

Yes very true! Iv seen some which have just been smashed up tight with a hammer!!

Like i said my skirting is square with no profile so no need to scribe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back