Hinges for a cupboard (jasonb if youre out there!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am constructing a cupboard to contain the washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher, in a utility room which needs to match in with the kitchen i am fitting. The machines are not built in. The washer and dryer are nota problemm, as the kitchen doors work for this. The problem i have is with the dishwasher as it opens top downwards as normal. It needs to cover the entire face of the dishwasher (which it does) and so needs to be able to be opened first to its full extension, and then the dishwasher can be opened. I need some sort of hinge that will do this and take the weight of the door without it opening to fast and destroying the hinges or fixings over time. Any ideas of suitable fixings or hinges?

Thermo

Sponsored Links
Do you want the DW door side or bottom hung?, is there a carcase at one side?

Also you dat that the doors will cover the other appliances, have you checked the width including the space the hinge will take up at the side of the machine, or do you have doors over 600mm wide.

Just got a similar job with a wm and Drier, will be using 675mm deep worktop and making 640mm wide doors.

Jason

Yes checked all that, with the doors and the worktop. Ideally im after whatever will work. there will be some form of carcassing on either side, but if you are aware of either type it will give me options

Cheers

Thermo

A 170 degree opening hinge would allow the door to swing back out of the way but will need about 70mm between the carcase and DW, if you want to cover the carcase with the doors this will mean a door width of 700mm.

You can get flap stays that have a braking system so they don't drop down but it would be hard to fit a bottom hinge.

Jason

Sponsored Links
any suppliers on the web that you know that do the bottom hinges?

Can you not modify the unit door onto the dishwasher instead ?

did think of that, but as its got a row of controls along the top on a plastic fascia which is proud of the metal dishawasher door, i will end up with controls showing

Thermo said:
i will end up with controls showing
So what you're saying is you don't want to see any part of the controls showing or dishwasher ?

masona, thats right, not until the door is opened.
Jason, thats the sort of thing i had in mind, as you say using the plinth.
will that need as additional damper of some sort to stop the mrs clunking it open and ripping it off the plinth in time?

Yes, you will find some on the same woodfit site, the plinth and bottom of the door will need to be lower than the front of the D/W door when opened.

Jason

Chaps,
thankyou for all the help and thanks for the links jason. Thats the questions answered!

Thermo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back