A simple door for a recycling bin/cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got one kitchen cupboard without a door or shelves. Don't know what it was used for before we moved in but now we keep plastic crates with recyling in it.

Anyway, am going to put a door on it and use it for the same purpose. However, I want to open the door from the top (as you do a dishwasher) and for it to open a certain amount. I seem to remember there was a type of hinge that was suitable for this (part circle in shape) but am starting to think I dreamt it up.

I'm also going to mount the bin on the door so that when you pull it out, you can just drop recycling in.

I think it's a type of friction hinge (possibly) but these are generally used for UPVC windows.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The box, duo or flap stays should do it, here I think the spring tension hinges might be best for you

Type in flap stays in google, plenty difference choices there

It's easy when you know what it's called ;)

Thanks very much! Not a guessable name - most grateful. Will look in and report back to see if anyone sees flaws in my plan...

Sponsored Links
You could make a litle box section like a drawer and approximately 150mm (?) high to hold the plastic bin in place instead of a crate and screw to the door. Maybe a little clip holder at the top of the bin as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back