Fitting a cupboard door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so probably an extremely stupid question but I'm making my own bathroom cupboard and I have bought a kitchen cupboard door to use as the door, I was wondering what size opening I need for a door that is 500mm x 700mm..

Obviously with the way the hinges work you would normally have the opening very slightly smaller than the door itself so that the door can close flush with no gap around it, would anyone know how much smaller I should make the opening?

Sponsored Links
the opening would normally be around 4-6mm BIGGER to allow for clearance
so 505 if the door is 500
normally the door will be 495

Bigger? Oh right that makes it easier as the opening is already bigger and I was thinking I would have to shorten it..

Because they are kitchen cupboard doors and hinges I just assumed
The opening would be smaller due to the way they open and then it would sit flush with the opening overlapping the edge slightly.

Anyway I shall do it the way you say as I'm definitely no expert thanks alot for your help.

Sponsored Links
The door is just under as mentioned, so your carcase needs to be 500mm, it will not be flush when closed but wil have approx 2mm gap either side to avoid binding.It should also sit a couple of mm off the unit for the same reason.[Assuming you will be using kitchen hinges].

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back