Regs re Cables in Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an electrician tell me that I can't run cabling in my walls because someone could hammer a nail in it and electricute themselves.

I thought about this some more and thought... 'Aren't there cables in all these walls?'

What can I and can't I do per the regs?

Background:
===========================
I'm renovating my flat and plan to add some sockets, convert some singles to double sockets, supply electricity to an immersion heater, and add light in a closet.

The electrician came ready to fill my house with truncking. I said I wasn't happy with this (they never even asked me). They weren't prepared to do any chasing so they left.

I'm ready to chase (sp?) the walls (they're gonna get replastered in two weeks anyway) to have new outlets added. I'm now considering doing all the chasing and outlet additions myself.

What should I be avoiding WRT putting cables in walls?

I'm planning on marking the new outlets. Removing all the skirting board, chasing vertically down through the plaster to the floor, and chasing along the floor to the other outlets.

Does this make sense?

Sponsored Links
cables can be in walls but they need to be either 50mm (not very practical) or in earthed metal conduit.

there are some exceptions. you are allowd 150mm around the top of the wall, and 150mm vertical where 2 walls meet. you can also run cables horizontal or vertical from an accessory (light switch, socket etc)

also, you should put cables under the floor between sockets, NOT at the bottom of the wall.

also, are you aware of part P?

andrew2022 said:
also, you should put cables under the floor between sockets, NOT at the bottom of the wall.

Unless you have a concrete floor, in which case you should run the cables vertically all the way up the wall from the sockets, and run the cables above the ceiling.

Not sure what you do if you have concrete floor AND concrete ceiling though! :D Am I right in thinking in this case you have to run conduit and cables horizontally between the sockets?

AdamW said:
andrew2022 said:

Unless you have a concrete floor, in which case you should run the cables vertically all the way up the wall from the sockets, and run the cables above the ceiling.

Not sure what you do if you have concrete floor AND concrete ceiling though! :D Am I right in thinking in this case you have to run conduit and cables horizontally between the sockets?

i would run the cables in trunkin along the ceiling. or mayb chase the wall at the top if there is only 2/3 cables.

Sponsored Links
jgreer said:
I had an electrician tell me that I can't run cabling in my walls because someone could hammer a nail in it and electricute themselves.
The technical term for that is "*******s".

What can I and can't I do per the regs?

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf

The electrician came ready to fill my house with truncking. I said I wasn't happy with this (they never even asked me). They weren't prepared to do any chasing so they left.
They just wanted a quick and easy job. Did you pick them because they were the cheapest?

Anyway - be glad they walked off - the last thing you want in your flat is a ****ed-off guy with a chasing tool. You'll get a huge amount of mess anyway - when you do, imagine what it'd be like with a bit of "Oh sorry, mate, I forgot to close the door" thrown in....

AdamW said:
Not sure what you do if you have concrete floor AND concrete ceiling though! :D

Guess what! You got it!! Cement floors and ceilings baby!!! This project is becoming very frustrating.

Ban-all-sheds has a good point. The guy who came over though was actually pretty cool. Disappointed he couldn't do any work.

Another poster mentioned chasing at the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling. This is what the electrician suggested. I'm replacing all the door frames, doors, and the glass above the doors too and replastering all the walls, so they can really chase to their heart's content.

andrew2022 said:
... they need to be either 50mm (not very practical)
you are allowd 150mm around the top of the wall, and 150mm vertical where 2 walls meet.

Ahh... I see what you mean. Used 'Ban-all-sheds's link and there's a great diagram there. Dang... I could do this myself! I'll rent a chasing tool. hehe.

you can also stay within the regs by dogleging though many sparks frown on this

e.g. go vertically from one socket and horizontally from the other until your chases meet

jgreer said:
I'll rent a chasing tool. hehe.
1) Get one that does large chases so that you can install oval conduit for the cables - so useful for any future changes.

2) Buy lots of gaffer tape and a good book.

3) When you go into the room you are going to chase, take the tape, the book, a vacuum cleaner and an old chair.

4) Use the tape to completely seal all door openings in the room.

5) When you have finished chasing vacuum up all the dust that's on all the horizontal surfaces, then sit down and read the book for about an hour and then vacuum again before you even think about removing the tape from the door(s)...

ban-all-sheds said:
1) Get one that does large chases so that you can install oval conduit for the cables - so useful for any future changes.

Can you define "large chases"?
I had already done the work by the time I found this response. I don't think mine are large enough. but I'll use a drill to enlarge it at this point.

My chases are about 15mm wide and go about 20mm deep into the wall.

There was so many different conduits to choose from at B&Q, wasn't sure what I needed. My DIY book says:

Collins Complete DIY Manual page313 said:
PVC sheathed cable can be buried without further protection.
Some people cover all buried cable with a plastic channel or run it inside conduit, but this is not required by the IEE Wiring Regulations. However, cable that is buried in plastic conduit can, if necessary, be withdrawn later without disturbing decorations.

Given my current chasing dimensions. Not sure what size conduit I should get or if I should get any at all.

As for your suggestions on the book and chair... Kinda chuckling now. Dust??? So much dust!!!!! NEVER SEEN SO MUCH DUST!!!!! :eek:

I got dust sheets, but your suggestions were better.

jgreer said:
There was so many different conduits to choose from at B&Q, wasn't sure what I needed.
Oval conduit, 20 or 25mm:

MTOV25.JPG

held in with saren buckle clips if your chases are not tight enough.
http://www.saren.co.uk/cabletiesclips.htm
these are about 8 to 10 quid per hundred depending on the size.
saren_anim.gif

if you remove the nail, you can daisy chain them for larger daimeters.
Or if you are stinge, then a nail and a twist bag tie will sort of manage it, and after its plastered over no-one will know.
regards M.

held in with saren buckle clips if your chases are not tight enough.
http://www.saren.co.uk/cabletiesclips.htm
these are about 8 to 10 quid per hundred depending on the size.
saren_anim.gif

if you remove the nail, you can daisy chain them for larger daimeters.
Or if you are stinge, then a nail and a twist bag tie will sort of manage it, and after its plastered over no-one will know.
regards M.

Brilliant! That's what I was looking for :) - where can I buy some as quick as screwfix..?

if its a flat isnt there a party wall aggrement to think about if you are chasing in party walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back