Regular Bleeding needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My old CH system has two bleed points (its open vented btw, Y plan) the bleed points are either side of the diverter valve.

I regularly need to bleed small amounts from the manual bleed valves - does this mean there is a leak? I never hear the expansion tank filling up or even dripping - there is about 3 inches of water in the tank (at least). There is inhibitor in the system (added couple of weeks ago).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

Seems like it might need cleaning out. Sludge and corrosion create gas and means regular venting required.

HTH

It is just air not gas, not even remotely smelly if that means anything..?

Header water is clear but has crusty white deposits around edges.

Rad water tends to be mostly clear but black at bottom.

Its an old boiler.

Would flush help or be too risky?

Sponsored Links
Btw its never the rads that need bleeding, always the two bleed pipes near pump and occasionally the bypass rad...

Header water is clear but has crusty white deposits around edges.
My fault, should have specified: bottom of header tank. Even systems that are really badly corroded, usually have clear water.

Its an old boiler.
That's no way to talk about your missus.

Ooooh cheeky ! LOL

OK i'll check the bottom of the header tank. There is no lid on it so easy to see. What do you reckon the white crusty stuff is and should I replace the tank?

I think im going to put some cleaner in the system as the history of this system is unknown.

I know putting engine flush in a high mileage car can be disasterous as it can shift carbon deposits.. is the same true of putting a CH cleaner in a old central heating system? System was installed 1994 and not a huge amount of sediment in bottom of rads, but it is there. I have to regularly bleed quite large amounts of air from system.. no signs of any leaks.

I think im going to put some cleaner in the system as the history of this system is unknown.

I know putting engine flush in a high mileage car can be disasterous as it can shift carbon deposits.. is the same true of putting a CH cleaner in a old central heating system? System was installed 1994 and not a huge amount of sediment in bottom of rads, but it is there. I have to regularly bleed quite large amounts of air from system.. no signs of any leaks.

it can if you do not clean it back out

Just wondering - i tried lighting the "air" that was coming from the bleed points - it doesn't light - is that a sign there could be a leak? Supposing there was a small leak, would it actually cause air to be introduced into the system, or would it just cause the header tank tap to run?

Thanks

Just wondering - i tried lighting the "air" that was coming from the bleed points - it doesn't light - is that a sign there could be a leak? Supposing there was a small leak, would it actually cause air to be introduced into the system, or would it just cause the header tank tap to run?

Thanks

Could mean a number of things, not piped correctly, pumping over and sucking air in, system corroding etc etc.
http://www.cheapcentralheating.co.uk/how-to-guide-central-heating.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back