Regulation changes afoot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are rumours in the plumbing world that we will have to be electrically qualified, soon, to be able to do our normal wiring in a customer's premises.

Any of you sparkies heard of new regs on that?

Sponsored Links
I haven't heard anything...but thats what it should be......if I'm not allowed to work on gas pipes, non-qualified people shouldn't work on electrics....just my own view ( and of course.....keeping me in work :D )

I think it will only apply to customer work not DIY

Yes it will apply to plumbers.

Yes it will apply to DIY.

Yes it will apply to anybody doing anything except very minor alterations.

Yes it will apply to anybody, doing anything at all - even replacing a light switch - in a "special location", which includes kitchens.

So plumbers will not be allowed to, for instance, put in a spur to provide power for a boiler.

To be fair - it's not so much that all the above will be forbidden, but they will all become controlled work under building regs, and unless carried out by someone deemed to be competent to self-certify their work, will have to be notified to building control before work starts, and must be inspected and tested by them, or someone they designate. i.e. your local NICEIC etc registered firm who, as il78 points out, have had these new regulations brought in so that they can boost the earnings of their members.

And in case you're spluttering about not being able to wire up a boiler any more, perhaps you should have a word with the guy who installed mine and spurred a length of unfused 1.0 or 1.5mm flex from a socket to provide the power for it. Can't tell what sort of flex- O/D is approx 7-8mm, which probably means 1.5mm, but who knows?

He did put in a fused spur connection unit, but that was just before the flex went into the boiler, thus leaving me with around 3m of 1.0/1.5mm cable rated at 10/16A, between that and the socket, on a circuit protected by a 32A MCB.....

i have just moved to australia and any body that isnt licenced can not under take electrical work of any kind.

even though the regulations over here are not as critical as back in england i think this is a good idear and the U.K should do the same

Sponsored Links
bussiebuss said:
i have just moved to australia and any body that isnt licenced can not under take electrical work of any kind.

Is it true that "electrical work of any kind" is interpreted so strictly that you can't even buy a plug for an appliance without producing your licence?

I read that somewhere, and it seemed incredible....

bussiebuss said:

even though the regulations over here are not as critical as back in england i think this is a good idear and the U.K should do the same

Any Jobs...........and no I'm not kidding.....

Blimey, and we (well, some of us :) ) thought Part P was a nanny-step too far....

Australia is a weird place for regs.
I lived there in the 70's and did repairs on all sorts of stuff. T.V. radio domestic appliances air conditioning etc etc etc. I have a Tradesman Radio ticket for Oz. cant get much better than that.... However.. if I fitted a mains plug I was breaking about 10 regs. I jest not. Everything in oz has a moulded plug fitted (i mean EVERTHING ) so if the mains lead gets damaged in theory its in the bin...

Queries aimed at niceic site/people made by guys at gas-news.co.uk suggest that the current situation is a)vague and b) inadequate. There aren't enough registered electricians to do all the work being done, and there isn't currently a system whereby boiler fitters, say, can get appropriate training and qualification. "Defined Approval" is mentioned but there's no mechanism to get it.
There have been bolt-ons to the gas training in the past, but they've not been made part of the current set. That's probably the way things will go, though I can't see the process being quick or elegant.

The situation needs to changed. Far too many systems I see have bad electrics.

plenty of jobs over here especially in the mining industry and you can earn plenty of money

but it takes ages to get your electrical licence and you have to take two exams

but the weather is nice and there is millions of houses being built so if that is your game then you need to get over here

but the electrics are a bit diff no rings just radials

and the regs are not a stringent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back