Reinforcing 56mm down light cutouts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a house which has ten down lights in the kitchen, all of which need to be replaced. The old down lights have been removed and reinstalled several times before (most likely to replace failed transformers) but the old-fashioned spring clips have taken big chunks out of the plasterboard all around the 56mm cutouts. Is there any kind of insert I could use to reinforce the edge of the cutout before making good? I'd rather not reboard the whole ceiling at this stage.
Thanks!
Joe

Sponsored Links
You could consider patching the whole hole up and re-cutting.
or if the cut out diameter of the new lights are larger, you could make a template or guide to enlarge.

Why dont you get 2 strips of metal for each hole (tin plate or aluminium) about 50mm wide and put a bit of glue on them and slide them in your holes where the spring will sit. When they are set you could patch up the old plaster board with some "Easi-fill" and when its gone off shape it to your holes with some sand paper.When you put the new lights in the repairs should be under the rims of the lights. ;)

I would source your downlights first and find out the size of cut out required, otherwise you could be doing work that is unnecessary.

Sponsored Links
Why dont you get 2 strips of metal for each hole (tin plate or aluminium) about 50mm wide and put a bit of glue on them and slide them in your holes where the spring will sit. When they are set you could patch up the old plaster board with some "Easi-fill" and when its gone off shape it to your holes with some sand paper.When you put the new lights in the repairs should be under the rims of the lights. ;)

Thanks! It's more the vertical edges and under side of the ceiling board that have been damaged so I was hoping to be able to get an inverted "L" section insert, either flexible or in two semi-circular sections, so that there would be a vertical 'edge' to fill against (i.e. the top of the inverted "L" glued to the top of the board with the vertical part forming the edge). I guess I could knock something up but was sort of hoping that a manufacturer would have beaten me to it.
Joe

I would source your downlights first and find out the size of cut out required, otherwise you could be doing work that is unnecessary.

Thanks for the advice. I already have the replacement down lights and they need a 56mm cutout, just like the old units I'm replacing.
Joe

Well if that's the case, you are going to find and minor repairs around the existing holes are going to be that fragile/delicate that when you insert new lights the springs with cause immediate damage to your remedial work.
So you have three options, completely fill in the existing hole and re-cut or return lights and get lights with larger diameter or cut hole bigger anyway and use a converter kit. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Knightsbridge/Downlight_Converter_Kit/index.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back