Reinforcing skirting boards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just one end really (an end I 'scribed' perfectly well thankyou :D )
Either the wall juts out a little (likely), a few spots of 'plasterers bulge (equally likely as I plastered the the bottom of the wall and I'm no expert) or the long plank of skirting (2 1/2 metres ish) was warped/bowed.
This one corner refuses to clamp straight onto the wall - the whole of the skirting was connected to the wall with 'no nails' (perhaps not the profession choice I admit but it's done the job). I've added a lot more glue down this corner gap and wedged half a dozen bricks against it to secure until set...but it never really holds and soon prises open.
What would be the best way to secure this against the wall? Drill a couple of small holes into this and the wall beyond and tap a couple of nails (what size if so) into it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
i take it its the scribed part thats "springing"!!!!!

otherwise the other bit of skirting will hold it in place
suggest you countersink screw and plug
2" 8s red plugs 5 to 6mm drill

It is All! The scribe itself is 'amateur precision' though grasshopper!

I'm fairly certain the wood was bowed - didn't really look out for this at the time (they were tied by plastic in a bunch - all straight together!).
In all fairness I probably cut a mm too much off the length - all in not a bad job just needs a little transparent patching here and there.

2" 8s red plugs 5 to 6mm drill.
I'll grab some 2 inch screws and do it that way All (not sure what '8s' means mind?).
I'll try and snap some pics of my handiwork all, give you something to chuckle about if anything!
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I thought imperials were some form of driving mint?

Cheers - have some of those very same screws.
I'll plonk one near the top and one nearer the bottom as opposed to one centrally (watch it 'twang' the other end as I do so!!).

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back