Reinforcing timber floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this week's project is a new WC/ utility room on the ground floor with a new ensuite in the bedroom above.
I suspect that both floors will need a bit of work - ground floor for extra load of stud walls, WC, washing machine, dryer, freezer, worktop, wall cupboards and possibly kitchen units on the other side of the wall at a later date. The ensuite shouldn't be too bad, just walls, shower tray and WC - but this will be built off 3 sets of joists - mainly the trimming joists for the chimney breast.

My plan is to insert some deeper joists on the ground floor - under the stud wall and the area labelled "utility" where the weight (and washing machine) will be. For extra support to the FF joists I will insert new 4x2's below and at right angles - these will sit on the stud wall.

My question is, will a standard 3x2 CLS stud wall (300 centres and lots of noggins, 12.5mm pb both sides) be strong enough to carry any additional loading from the first floor? It's 2.5m high and will have the two returns where the doorways are. I'm worried that it will just bend but at the same time I want it as thin as possible because it's depth is eating into the space in the remaining dining room

As always, any advice/suggestions gratefully received.

Apologies for the quality of the "drawings".

15211087213161623507319.jpg
1521108795351521092976.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back