Stud wall FD30 with glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Am closing in the ground floor stairs with a stud wall as part of a loft conversion. The wall will be 63mm CLS with 12.5mm PB, skimmed. There will also be a doorway. We will lose some light with the wall so was wondering if glass was acceptable and if so what the requirements are. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The glass would need to be fire resistant so either Georgian wired (Hmm nice!) or fire resistant glass (£1000/m2) so take your choice. Or don't bother.

Thanks for the reply. If I used Georgian wired glass is there a minimum thickness, maximum size and do I need an intumescent seal? Is there a framing requirement? I can't find much information on the subject.

Georgian wired isn't acceptable as a fire-resistant glass, except in small panels (eg above a door).

To achieve the full 30 min separation with a glazed screen, you need Pilkingtons 'Firestop' or equivalent, which as the boss above says is VERY expensive, and generally only used in commercial/retail/leisure projects.

(Georgian wired maintains integrity in a fire which means it will keep smoke back, but it won't prevent the passage of radiant heat. Proper fire-resisiting glass has an internal membrane wich expands to foam in a fire, and stops radiant heat from passing through).

Sponsored Links
I thought you could get wired glass to work in bigger clear sizes nowadays tony, ie bigger than ickle 6"² ?

Electric lights it is then :). Any restriction on running wires through a fire rated wall ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back