Partition wall thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I need to put up a partition wall to create a bathroom, and bedroom space.
The room is 300cm in length, in this space I need to fit a 90cm wide shower, the wall, and a 200cm bed. Hence have 10cm wall space.

The wall needs to have an entrance door way.

The wall will be 2.65m x 2.2m and covered in tiles on one side

I think I have two options here for making my wall, please let me know what's wrong lol.

1. 63mm CLS wooden stud wall + 94mm door lining + 12.5mm plasterboard + plaster skim on one side
= 63+12.5+12.5+3 = 91
this leaves me 3mm short, would i need to make the plaster skim thicker?

2. 72mm metal track and stud + 94mm door lining + 9.5mm plasterboard + 3mm skim one side
= 72+9.5+9.5+3mm = 94mm

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
3mm lol! Your timber could be bowing a lot more than that. I would not worry too much about 3mm of extra skim.(y)

Sponsored Links
Why not make the wall out of 50mm square ? 2x2 in old money.

I'm not going to put skirting where the bed will be going, it will be a full box base, so won't look odd if I exclude skirting from that section.

Seriously I have very little idea on the sizing as that's all just from reading up on the internet, would I be leaving myself too little tolerance?

not sure why not 2x2, just getting an idea of the best solution. - is there a door frame lining for this size

That might work; are you going to build the bed base yourself?

With so little margin for error, I'd definitely consider the thinner alternatives like 2x2 studwork or even those prefabricated honeycomb panels that everyone hates; can someone remember what they are called?

That might work; are you going to build the bed base yourself?

With so little margin for error, I'd definitely consider the thinner alternatives like 2x2 studwork or even those prefabricated honeycomb panels that everyone hates; can someone remember what they are called?
Paramount walling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back