Reinvigorating old concrete pathway..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My bungalow is surrounded by a concrete path which was laid at the time the property was built, back in the early 70s. The substance of the concrete appears to be sound, although there are cracks at the angles of the building, presumably due to settlement/ shrinkage, but large parts of the upper surface have been damaged by frost and by 40 years of foot traffic, as well as being discoloured by moss.

I really don't want to take up the whole pathway and replace it (way beyond my own DIY capabilities, and no doubt it would cost thousands if done by a contractor) so my preferred option is to identify some technique I could use to reinvigorate the surface of the concrete. I don't have a great deal of thickness to play with due to the proximity of the dampcourse, so I'm wondering whether there's a paint, skim or other application which might improve the look and durability of the old surface. The surface takes only pedestrian traffic.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Karcher do a sand and wet blasting kit :idea: Might be worth a try if you've already got the karcher

paving slabs set in mortar. Put a slight slope away from the house.

I have a Karcher, but its the bog standard model, and I don't know whether it would take the sand blasting kit. I've already tried jetwashing, but the discoloured areas are too far gone to make much difference.

As for paving slabs I might get away with that, but as I said above I don't have much depth to play with due to the dampcourse.

I'll give both possibilities some consideration, thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a Karcher. Using the lance, close to concrete, blasts off dirt and moss, and also the top layer of the concrete so that (if not already rough) it loses its smoothness and become gritty.

Bleach will also kill moss.

Just been having a trawl online, and I've found some information about a product called Quikrete, which looks ideal for my purposes, and can be applied at a thickness of just one eighth of an inch to give extended life to old concrete; providing, of course, the old surface is properly prepared first.

Unfortunately Quikrete appears to be available only in the USA.

Does anyone know whether any similar products are available in the UK?

I've saturated it in bleach, John, but the discolouration in one particular area seems to be too far gone for removal by either bleach or by my bog standard jetwasher.

Judging by other info I've read online, the sand blasting kit would fit my jetwash, so that might be a good place to start.

consider spray crete its an overlay system
ceatice impressions in bamber bridge preston supply they materials
reasonably cheap looks good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back