Rejuvenating worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have bought a house where the wooden worktops have been pretty neglected. It is an Ikea kitchen so suppose it is the typical Ikea solid birch? worktops.

They are generally in good shape (no chips or physical damage) but they have not been oiled for a long time and there is that dark brown/black markings near the sink I suppose from standing water damage. The surface feels ok though.

There is a bit of residue feel from previous oilings but not a lot, it just feels a bit tacky in places.

I've done a bit of research and thinking of the following, would this be a good way to approach it? and in this order:

Remove remaining sticky oily residue. It seems white spirit is a good way to do this. Do you just rub it on and rub with a clean cloth? Is there a better way of doing this?

Next, use oxalic acid on the blackened water stained areas. I've seen all kinds of different methods suggested for using this. I'm planning on buying the Liberon Wood Bleacher if I can find some which I suppose will have instructions.

Re oil. I'm thinking either danish oil or osmo?

Thanks for any suggestions and input.

Sponsored Links
Avoid white spirit where food is prepared will taint food . Degreasant is required, lemon juice is also good for some stains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back