Relacing bathroom lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently removed the lights and switches from my bathroom ceiling for replastering, and put up a 4 spot bathroom approved light and new pull switch. Am I naive for thinking that this should have been straight forward? Every time I turn the mains back on, the fuse trips. I have reconnected everything as it was on the old fittings. I have one wire where the switch is (Red and Black) and am wondering if I am using the incorrect switch. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
My guess is you have likely connected a switched live at the light to neutral. How many wires do you have at the light?

I think you may be right. When I installed the new fitting, there was a black wire that was seperate from the other 2 black wires, and because it wasn't sleeved I assumed it should be with the others. How silly am I? Thanks very much for your help.

Sponsored Links
wouldn't life be easier if people sleeved wires properly (sighs wishfully)

Ok, heres the updated problem. I have moved the switched live to its place, now the light stays on regardless of the switch position. I have 3 red and 3 black at the light. One of the cables carries on to a shaving light. Any help much appreciated.

Polopete said:
Ok, heres the updated problem. I have moved the switched live to its place, now the light stays on regardless of the switch position. I have 3 red and 3 black at the light. One of the cables carries on to a shaving light. Any help much appreciated.

see for reference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back