Relocating ADT Power Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an ADT alarm system installed in my house and it is about 4 years old. The power and phone line are located in the same room (there was no power outlet in the closet where the main system is located) and the phone line plugs in to my cable router.

I recently had to move my cable router to another room and I called ADT to come out to move my alarm system connections to the new room. I wasn't at home and I don't think my wife fully understood what needed to be done, but long story short, the ADT technician installed a new phone line from the system in to the new room. He didn't move the power cord from the other room and we actually need that room to be cleared out for some construction. Instead of paying another $100 for ADT to come back out and move the power cord, I was contemplating moving it myself. I am a technical kind of guy and have dealt with stuff like this before.

I was just wondering if there was anything special I needed to do before I moved the cable. I assume it is like any other power cable and I can just cut the head off, run the cable to the new room, then rewire the cable in the head (the end of the power cord is a square box that comes apart).

I read somewhere that there is a battery pack that has to be unhooked first. Is there anything else I need to know about? I just don't wanna cut the power cord (once it is unplugged :D ) only to receive an unexpected shock or damage the system somehow. If I completely remove power from the system, is there any kind of configuration I need to do when the system comes back online? The ADT technician specifically told my wife that the power cable should not be cut while we were doing the construction. Other than the obvious reasons, is there any reason I can't cut the cable?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you've got but, in the UK, the power cord is wired directly into the mains supply via a switchplate-sized plate called a "fused connection unit" or a "fused spur". This is like a plug in a socket but with no plug or socket!!

There is no reason why you can't disconnect the power cord. The alarm panel contains a battery that will keep the alarm running when there is a power outage. If you disconnect the power, the panel will continue to work. Obviously, you shouldn't cut the cord if the power is still present unless you want to get electrocuted and/or blow all your fuses!! :LOL:

Remove the power, disconnect the power cord, reconnect it in the new position and re-apply the power. Your alarm will think that there has been a power outage.

Ok, let me give a lil more clarification since I can't attach any pictures just yet. The main alarm system is installed in the first floor utility room closet. There is no power outlets there, so when they installed it, the technician ran the power and phone line directly above to the outlet on the second floor (where my modem was located).

The "power cable" is just a power cord running from the main system that just plugs into an outlet (it is a square box with plug prongs on it). It looks like they just fed the power cable into the box and attached it to the prongs.

Anyway, I want to move the power cable to another room on the second floor. My intent was to unplug the cable at the outlet, remove the square box connector, feed the power cable through the newly drilled hole in the other room, then reattach it to the box connector.

There won't be any AC power running to the system, but I didn't know if it would affect anything I did all this with the system running on battery power or if it might damage it somehow.

The "power cable" is just a power cord running from the main system that just plugs into an outlet (it is a square box with plug prongs on it). It looks like they just fed the power cable into the box and attached it to the prongs.

That would be a rewireable plug?

Sponsored Links

That would be a rewireable plug?

Yeap. It's a small brown box, about 3"x3"x1" and it comes apart, the top and bottom split. The bottom part has the prongs that plug into the outlet.

Sounds a bit like one of those plugs they used to fit on clocks. Or they've wired it into the back of the socket/outlet :eek: I guess they don't have many rewireable plugs in The States!

I don't think you should have any problems.

From the point of view of the alarm sytem what you are doing is no different to a power cut or breaker trip. Just do it reasonablly quickly so that the backup battery in the panel doesn't run down and you should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back