Relocating kitchen - building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to relocate my kitchen in my Victorian terrace. The current kitchen is a standard galley kitchen in the rear extension. I would like to move it to the middle reception room just adjacent to the current kitchen.

The services (hot/cold water) and drainage would be easy to form new connections to as the combi boiler and external drainage stack are close by to where the sink would go. All electrics would be covered under minor works (just extending the ring circuit to add a few more sockets, the oven and hob would be 13a so no new circuits would be needed. The extractor fan would be fitted to an external wall and connected to a FSU (minor works).

Would it be possible to simply apply for building notice for the drainage (part H) and water supply (part G)? Could I avoid having to do a full plans application?

I think the house originally had its kitchen there many decades ago if that makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I would get the electrics done by a competent electrician, the plumbing done by a competent plumber and just get on with it - I'm sure the number of people who put in a BR application when they re-model their kitchen is a very small %

Of course you are right - the middle room would have originally been the kitchen with range and the rear extension would have been the scullery. Probably a wash-house and privy out the back.

Personally, I would get the electrics done by a competent electrician, the plumbing done by a competent plumber and just get on with it - I'm sure the number of people who put in a BR application when they re-model their kitchen is a very small %

Of course you are right - the middle room would have originally been the kitchen with range and the rear extension would have been the scullery. Probably a wash-house and privy out the back.

That’s what I was thinking, I would prefer to use someone on the competent person scheme as it would be cheaper than building notice. What I’m confused about is whether the new kitchen will need a building notice simply because the kitchen is being moved? Is there anything else I need to get building regs for?

Is it possible to do it all through competent persons?

This is what planning portal says:-

"Is building regulations approval needed for work to a kitchen or bathroom?
Work to refit a kitchen or bathroom with new units and fittings does not generally require building regulations approval, although drainage or electrical works that form part of the refit may require approval under the building regulations.

If a bathroom or kitchen is to be provided in a room where there wasn't one before, building regulations approval is likely to be required to ensure that the room will have adequate ventilation and drainage, and meet requirements in respect of structural stability, electrical and fire safety."

Your call if you want to make an application or not. To be correct, you probably should. Would I? probably not.

Sponsored Links
This is what planning portal says:-

"Is building regulations approval needed for work to a kitchen or bathroom?
Work to refit a kitchen or bathroom with new units and fittings does not generally require building regulations approval, although drainage or electrical works that form part of the refit may require approval under the building regulations.

If a bathroom or kitchen is to be provided in a room where there wasn't one before, building regulations approval is likely to be required to ensure that the room will have adequate ventilation and drainage, and meet requirements in respect of structural stability, electrical and fire safety."

Your call if you want to make an application or not. To be correct, you probably should. Would I? probably not.

Ah right. Maybe I could get away with it by simply saying (when I come to sell) there was one there before (which there would have been), albeit many years ago.

How would the buyer know where the kitchen was at any point in time?
And why would they care?
As long as you have an electrical certificate, plumbing and drainage are sound, nobody would care.

Building regs can only make a fuss of anything for 2 years after doing the work.

My approach for something relatively minor like this would be that, although technically requiring box-ticking, form-filling and handing over a few £100s for a piece of paper... you could just do it, ensure everything is completely within all the rules, take loads of photos and don't worry about it.

I fitted some windows at our last house. The 20-odd page seller form from the buyer's solicitors asked if any new windows had been fitted (yes!), were they fitted by a fensa approved installer (NO!). The result? Absolutely nothing happened, nobody asked or made a fuss about anything, the house sold and we all lived happily ever after.

Sorry if anyone thinks this is a bit terrible and/or the council helicopter will be circling over the house. It's your house, your castle and your decision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back