Reluctant Worcester Bosch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Worcester Bosch 24Si II oat times fails to fire up. I had a contract with a well known gas supplier who at £60 a pop told me that yes it does have a fault but didn’t know what it was: but would be more than happy for £60 a time to re-boot it!

(No longer have that contract or supplier)

I read an old thread about swapping the PCB, which I am more than happy to do. But need to narrow the possible fault, don’t just want to throw money at it

Symptom is that on the days it won’t fire up it may need resetting just the once, or sometimes even six or more times; there is no standard number: but once it is up and running it will fire up all day both CH and hot water

Thoughts please

Sponsored Links
Get someone who is a wb man and knows them like the preverbial back of his hand.
The wb website would be a good start, as would your local merchants. It needs fault-finding-logic applied at source!

Could be anything, but wouldn,t be looking at PCB at this stage.
You need someone who knows what their looking at and not a chancer.

Good advice probably; been on a WB forum, however think will need to give thought on tracking down local knowledge
Not much success in that direction as yet, but will be easier on a working day
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's always a good idea to get someone qualified and suitably experienced to diagnose the issue with your boiler. Don't be surprised though if it comes back as the pcb, they are tripe! Normally failure of the fan low speed relay circuit. For a heads up, it might be worth making a note of the flashes (frequency) to help your boiler man out, esp if it's intermittent.

As above, one of the worst worcester pcbs (and thats saying something). Did your repair company take a look at the heat exchanger wasnt leaking and blocked in the back rhs too?

No; all he carried was his laptop/notebook; he said that he had cleaned the Ventura and that he didn't like where the alarm was mounted!
He was out of the door in 20 minutes saying that yes it had a problem, he didn't know what it was but they couldn't just throw parts at it!

Told them where to stick their rip-off maintenance contract
In fact the senior CS manager phoned to say he was sorry that I was displeased but they couldn't afford simply to just fit parts on the off chance

I have read that the WB PCB's are poor, and often it is the fan (which I take it is mounted on it?)
I know about the flash frequency, as I remember it seemed steady regular pulses (I'll check next time, won't have to wait long!)

But still cheaper to replace (if needed) than swop the system (it's about 12 years old)

Maybe less spent on adverts would be a step forward
Thanks for the pointers

No; all he carried was his laptop/notebook; he said that he had cleaned the Ventura and that he didn't like where the alarm was mounted!
He was out of the door in 20 minutes saying that yes it had a problem, he didn't know what it was but they couldn't just throw parts at it!

Told them where to stick their rip-off maintenance contract
In fact the senior CS manager phoned to say he was sorry that I was displeased but they couldn't afford simply to just fit parts on the off chance

I have read that the WB PCB's are poor, and often it is the fan (which I take it is mounted on it?)
I know about the flash frequency, as I remember it seemed steady regular pulses (I'll check next time, won't have to wait long!)

But still cheaper to replace (if needed) than swop the system (it's about 12 years old)

Maybe less spent on adverts would be a step forward
Thanks for the pointers

You may not be surprised to learn, WB are not held in very high regard by the Trade.

Worcester do have their own repair service.

Possibly might provide annual cover too.

But they will be more expensive than the over cheap cover you have probably got.

I am not sure why you gave up so easily. I would have expected that you could have complained that for your £60 ( and annual fee? ) you expected the engineer would have diagnosed the fault, or that any further visits would have been non chargeable if they were unable to correctly diagnose the fault.

Those companies often employ people with lesser diagnostic skills whose procedure is just to replace parts until eventually it is made to work. Instead of using logical diagnostic skills.

Tony

Just keep calling it back in every few days and giving the engineer a recall every time and a multi visit. You complain its the same fault and you wont pay the excess again. Guarantee you'll get parts thrown at it pretty quickly.

Tony & Ollski; you are both 100% correct
The trouble is I have a short fuse and very little patience when faced with lousy service. When I complained they gave themselves 8 weeks in which to reply (allowed apparently); and as it was it was 10 weeks before the boss man phoned saying that he had just got back off holiday and realised that it was still outstanding
With hindsight you are both correct, but all done now and really I didn't fancy the same, although polite, smug bloke wandering in with the same shrug of the shoulders
I'll follow some of the pointers above, ie when it fails next time check the pulse rate and lift the front off
Looked at WB service contract, too dear. There must be a reliable engineer in this town who is up to speed on these

Tony & Ollski; you are both 100% correct

Looked at WB service contract, too dear. There must be a reliable engineer in this town who is up to speed on these

As you are discovering, if you want the best service then you must be prepared to pay for it.

Remember it is only your opinion that Worcs service is too expensive.

I met a lady today with a Worcs contract on an old Highflow 400. I pointed out that they probably no longer take them on and that some parts are now obsolete. She now values her service contract even more highly!

Tony

Tony
I most certainly do not object to paying for good service: but I also subscribe to the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted"
As I admitted further up this thread, I maybe should have fought my corner more rather than the dummy out of the pram: but we are what we are
Richard

I dont remember ever hearing any complaints about Worcester or Vaillant service repairs.

That must mean that they just go on and do whatever is needed to effect the repairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back