Remember eye protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last weekend was sanding down a crack in a wall (brick to dry wall) join, getting ready to emulson. Lots of yellow emulson flying around and went and got a face mask. Carried on.

After about 20 minutes got it all smooth. Job done.

Then notice right eye is itching. Rub it. It hurts.

Look in mirror, and top part of the "white" of eye is blood red!!!

Pop down town to opticans and I've burst a blood vessel in the eye. No real damage, just looks awful.

1 week on, its still blood red in places.

Lesson to be learnt - REMEMBER EYE PROTECTION !

Sponsored Links
Have you ever noticed tho when using a combination of protective equipment, how uncomfortable/difficult it is to use. One example, goggles and dust mask, the goggles will steam up very quickly... making it virtually impossible to see clearly... :cry:

mildmanneredjanitor said:
goggles and dust mask, the goggles will steam up very quickly... making it virtually impossible to see clearly... :cry:
They are getting better, the one I have is a thick foam padding for comfort and as it's a tight seal on the face, no steam can enter from your breathing!
The other one I have is all-in-one mask which cover the eye and nose which you have to breathe correctly otherwise they can steam up a little.

masona said:
which you have to breathe correctly otherwise they can steam up a little.

Breath in... breath out... breath out... Oh shoot! Breath in... :D

It's nice to see that people are using PPE now though, a few years ago you would feel quite the numpty wearing all this stuff, but thankfully the opposite is the case now.

I've got a nice pair of safety specs that can be worn comfortably all day so you can just leave them on - so you don't have to keep stopping and looking for your goggles. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Glad to see you're all being sensible and it's not just me who worries about these things!

I have a question - I've tried a few safety goggles/glasses, but found nothing really comfortable. Any recommendations? Part of the problem (I reckon) is my head size (smallish) - are there such things as adjustable goggles?

Goggle eyed :eek:

I'd have to see a picture of you first to ascertain what shape and style would be best suited to you... :p

Think the brains of T Rex, the body of Homer Simpson and the bank balance of Michael Jackson- is that painting you a good enough picture?

SB :confused:

PS I think I got those the right way round....or was it the body of Michael Jackson.......

sparkybird said:
Think the brains of T Rex, the body of Homer Simpson

Ding dong, "bang a gong" ;)

I have never found goggles that are particularly comfortable (opposite problem, I have a head the size of Joseph Merrick's)

Something like this might be more comfy for you (and yes I am being serious!)

p2507706_l.jpg

Reading with interest.

I'm a scuba diver and here's what we do.

before you put it on Spit on the inside, and rub it all over.
quick wash off and stick on your face. The layer of spit prevents water from your breath from settling on the inside. Keep on your face if possible, breath out from your mouth.

You can get anti-fogging solution from dive shops or dive sites on the internet for a few pence, but spit works good for me.

hope that helps.

lick yer finger and smear it on to the inside of goggles you don,t have to spit.

Thanks for the spit tip . I am going to try that tomorrow as I will be plastering (using the term loosely).I know someone who got a tiny spec of plaster in his eye and it was a trip to hospital (a splat from mixing it up). I have found that 'valved' type masks help reduce misting as the breath is expelled via mask valve and doesn't shoot up into the goggles.

Plaster is evil stuff on sensitive skin (or eyes, lungs etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back