Those were the good old days

conny said:
WE called them 'Steeries', because you steered them either with a bit of string attached to the front axle or your feet on the front axles.

We steered bogeys the same way or, as if to demonstrate how foolhardy we were, we rode them head first with our hands on the front axle.

Oor Wullie had a "cartie" but that was a much more substantial vehicle with a box to sit in and a brake. Brakes on a bogey? Never! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Any advance on steerie?

Sponsored Links
Conny, I used to go to Garston baths and jump off the balconey (been demolished now), born in Garston tennies they've gone as well.

Yme,
born in the Dingle off Park Road and went to Steble St baths. When I went to 'High School', (you'll know which one it was 1st and 2nd years in Wellington St, 3rd and upwards down in Aigburth Road), we went to Garston baths as well, it was a replica of Steble St and until recently the local baths on Queens Drive. Thats been demolished and a new sports type of centre built there with all the prats on the walking machines looking out of full length windows at the traffic going over the flyover to Bootle.

Sponsored Links
well, I grew up in the 70's and 80's yes I'm sure it is youth and nostaglia but life seemed simpler, and more hopeful back then, certainly seems more stressed these days, but as I say, it's probably just my age and current situation talking.

Back