Removal of adhesive tape from wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’ve removed some plastic conduit and thin layer of adhesive strip predictably left. I wondered what’s the best remedy to remove without damaging wooden floor?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the floor sealed/varnished?
If it is, you can try some WD40 - trial on an unobtrusive area first to check it won't stain.

I always try warm water with a dab of washing up liquid first. For stubborn stuff you can use something like 'Goo-gone', or any number of products to do the job.

Thanks. It’s wooden floor panels in dining room. (Not real wood)

Sponsored Links
White spirit is supposed to remove some glue. But, I haven't tried. If you are really adventurous, maybe petrol? Again, I haven't tried because I don't have a correctly coloured jerry can.

If the surface is not easily damaged, a window scraper might work. If it's bare wood, high grit sand paper could do it. But, It will give you a "new" spot.

Last edited:
White spirit is supposed to remove some glue. But, I haven't tried. If you are really adventurous, maybe petrol? Again, I haven't tried because I don't have a correctly coloured jerry can.

If the surface is not easily damaged, a window scraper might work. If it's bare wood, high grit sand paper could do it. But, It will give you a "new" spot.

What could possibly go wrong with pouring petrol on a floor?

Managed to get it off with Sticky Stuff Remover from B&Q. (Two layers removed)

Thanks

Hi

I’ve removed some plastic conduit and thin layer of adhesive strip predictably left. I wondered what’s the best remedy to remove without damaging wooden floor?

Many thanks

White spirit will probably work.

As suggested by @Odds Goo-gone should work as should the numerous citrus oil/isopropyl alcohol blends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back