Removal of Chimney Breasts and Chimney Stacks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am new to this site and have been researching on the removal of chimney breasts. As this is all very new to me.

Currently, we have two redundant chimney stacks and want to get these removed. Is there any special considerations that I must take into account whilst speaking to the builder?

In addition, I have two rooms that each have a chimney breast each, that I am looking to remove. We live in an end of terrace and the chimney breast are not shared - so do not think that I will require a Party agreement.

As it's a 1900 end of terrace house, I am only looking to remove the chimney breast in the first floor rooms only and not in the loft. Do I need to get Building Control Regs or planning permission?

Also, have read information that Gallow brackets are no good. But most forums I have read - most people seems to use them, In my circumstances would this be ok?

Apologies for all the questions - but this is all very new to me and just want to do the best job.

As you know any home is your palace!

Can anyone help me.

Sponsored Links
As it is a structural alteration, you will need to make a Building Regulations application. You do not have to use the council, you can use a private, Approved Inspector if you wish.

To support the remaining chimney in the loft space, you will either need one or two steel beams, or gallows brackets.

Many local authority building inspectors will not accept gallows brackets on principle, or will only accept them in very specific circumstances. This depends on whether or not the chimney is bonded to the wall; the condition of the brickwork; what proportion of the chimney remains etc., so check first if you decide to use brackets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back