Removal of dado before skimming?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have recently moved into a new property and after stripping the wallpaper in the living room have noticed that the plaster isn't in the best shape. I am going to have them skimmed. Would I need to remove the dado rail and skirting board before the plasterer is able to skim the walls? Or can he work around these? Many thanks, Chris.

Sponsored Links
It can be worked around although if the skirting or dado are in pretty bad shape or have loads and loads of paint oven them, since you are making your walls nice you could replace the woodwork, or omit it if dado rails arn't your cup of tea.

Nice flat plastered walls with a nice fresh skirting and architrave with a flat uniform coat of paint look very smart. At the moment I am favouring MDF skirtings as they come pre primed and arn't twisted and there is no issue with knots. It is also a very stable timber compared to the green stuff you get that just cups and warps as it dries out in your house.

Nice flat plastered walls with a nice fresh skirting and architrave with a flat uniform coat of paint look very smart. At the moment I am favouring MDF skirtings as they come pre primed and arn't twisted and there is no issue with knots. It is also a very stable timber compared to the green stuff you get that just cups and warps as it dries out in your house.

Removing the dado and skirting before skimming will make it look a lot better.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back