Removal of Fire Door - French door/Open plan kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I would appreciate an opinion on the following situation.

I moved into the flat in 2007 and set out to remodel it. I submitted proposed alterations to landlord (council) , which wee rejected.
The alteration in question consists of removing part of the wall between kitchen and living room to either make it an open-plan or install French door later on. There was an exisitng opening (narrower though) and no fire door when I moved in.
Council's argument for refusal is that Fire door was present in original design (judged by other flats in the block) , hence I need to (re)install fire door.

Can I do away with fire door and if so, what is the argument (i.e. Fire regulation)?
Is there a fire door in the shape of french door ?

Thanks! View media item 21074

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

Would you know if there is any regulation that mandates fire door between kitchen and living room (in my case) ?

There used to be (I think) but there certainly isn't now. As the kitchen is the likeliest location for a fire to start it is considered the most dangerous room. However as your kitchen is located where it is, its in the best possible location. Having said all that, council landlords are generally speaking Bozos and seem reluctant to move with the times though so you can ignore them if you wish. Do they make inspections or similar? I have no idea. Realistically having no door there will cause little risk to your safety. Hope you've got a smoke alarm though! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

I do have a smoke alarm, right by the opening between the kitchen and living room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back