Removal of internal door and regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the door between my hallway and open plan kitchen/lounge a few years ago. Now that I rent the place out, my tenant is asking for a door to be put in for fire safety. This is an expensive job as I no longer have the door (there is a curtain there). Im just wondering whether this is needed for fire safety or not? I cant seem to find anything on the internet for this to check. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
If there is no door then a fire in the kitchen area could fill the stair well with smoke and / or flames making esacpe via the stairs hazardous if not impossible.

If safe escape from upstairs room is possible via windows then loss of the stairs escape route can be tolerable.

Read Part B of the building regulations to learn what is legally required. That said your tenant is being sensible in asking for the door to be replaced to make the house safer.

Sorry I meant to say it's a ground floor flat. Does that make a difference?

Sponsored Links
It is my own private hallway and leads directly outside. Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back