Internal door width advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning a new fitted kitchen and am looking to move the internal door between the kitchen and lounge. The existing door has a width of 760mm/30". I am thinking of bricking up the existing door and creating a new door further along the wall, but at 600mm/24" wide. The reduced door width will allow me to get the best run of units along this wall.

Anyone know if this is building regs compliant? Not sure if I need a certain minimum width?

The kitchen has a second door, 760mm/30" wide, which leads to the hallway and the front door. This will remain unchanged.

Thanks

Dan

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This is one time imperial measurements matter. Very few (brirish) builders know door sizes in metric.

Have updated my original post to include imperial measurements. Trust this helps.
Cheers
Dan

@^Woody^ is probably your best source for the regs on this, but what I can say is that in my experience 24in (2ft) and 27in (2ft 3in) doors are normally only fitted to cupboards, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
:love:

There are no set dimensions unless the property was built in modern times to meet access criteria (Part M), in which case doorways should not be made any worse/narrower than when built.

Likewise for fire safety, in that the situation should not be made any worse - but as there will be still the same escape routes, that satisfies that.

In practical terms, you may well regret walking sideways for ever more just for the sake of a "best run of units". Just fit a narrower unit.

B/regs approval for openings in structural walls and the electrics

Thanks for the replies.
The house was built in 1955
The wall isn't load bearing
The door on our bifold doors to our patio has an opening of 61cm/24" and we navigate this without issue, but I have the added benefit of being able to fully open the bifold as and when. I'll see if I can make the kitchen door wider for ease.

Cheers for tge advice

Dan

I fitted 24" doors in my utility "corridor" and WC, I was a bit nervous but they're absolutely fine (and I'm a bigish bloke). The doors don't even full open as they have stops to stop the handles hitting the wall. Just don't ask me how I get the washing machine in and out!

IMG_20210716_092437592.jpg

I guess that he takes the door off and unscrews the lower part of the stop in the bottom right of the photo.:)

Correct, your zoom is obviously working well. I just wish I'd used those hinges that you can just lift the door off. Luckily only had to replace one dryer in 4 years so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back