Removal of Sunroom off bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, when we moved into our house it had a bizarre sunroom/conservatory off one of the bedrooms, which I'd like to remove. It's a fairly simple 'strap-on' affair which hasn't interfered with gutters etc, so fairly easily removed.

Obviously there's been an external door fitted where it would have previously just been wall. I want to remove this door and just brick up the 'hole', obviously making good the brick and timberframe construction of the house (a bungalow by the way, circa 2002).

So the question is, am I okay doing this and just getting a solicitor to update paperwork for when my kids have to eventually move me out :)LOL:), or does this sort of thing need any kind of building certification (sorry for poor terminology!!). Comfortable it won't need planning permission I think?

Now the main question, I can do this sort of thing myself, but is there an issue with me doing this in terms of proof of competence etc., which I guess links into the 'does this need signed off' building certification and the like question above? No I'm not a trained tradesperson, but a keen diy'er, so I can do things, it just takes me much longer than the pros!! :(

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts, very much appreciated!! (y)

Sponsored Links
So are you wanting to demolish a lightweight conservatory and infill an existing external door opening? If so, you would not require Planning or Building Regulation approvals.

Anybody can take their hand to demolition and providing you’re competent, could also infill the existing opening with materials (including insulation) to match existing.

You don't need any permissions, nor to update any paperwork via a solicitor or otherwise.

But you do need to ensure that as you are removing a means of escape from the bedroom, that there is a way out via the bedroom window. If this doorway was a retrospective addition and the existing window was not altered, then that's fine. But if the original window has been altered, then the window escape opening needs to be confirmed suitable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much guys. Yes, the door was an addition at time of putting the conservatory on, and there's another unaltered window in the bedroom. So essentially just putting things back to the way they started out, i.e. solid wall as opposed to additional door, just wasn't sure if relevant paperwork was needed to do this. Many thanks again for the advice, very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back