Removal of Vinyl Kitchen floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment my kitchen has stick on vinyl floor tiles which were laid by the previous house owners. I have removed one of these tiles just to see how easy it will be to remove them all in order for me to re-lay a new floor covering. After removing one of the vinyl tiles I soon discovered that underneath was a rather nice ceramic tiled floor! I have now decided to dispose of the current floor covering and reveal the nice tiles underneath.

My problem is this... the person that stuck the vinyl tiles down used a kind of hard cement type adhesive and I had to chisel it off the surface of the ceramic floor tile in order to remove the vinyl tiles adhesive. This not only took a lot of time and energy but I was also very concerned that I may damage the tile underneath.

Regardless of whether I choose to keep the ceramic floor underneath or re-cover the floor with another surface I'll still need to find a way to remove the vinyl floor covering and the thick adhesive. Does anyone know of an easier way to remove this glue/cement stuff in a more gentle and less time consuming way?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I must tell you know you have lifted one patch , an thought you struck Gold ,
can I tell you its Fools Gold ,lol
Im quite positive once you have uncovered this tiled gem you will find out why the owner before went to the trouble of cement levelling it up an using vinyl floor tiles , the old tiles will be B*ggered an broken ....dont waste your time .. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back