Removal of wooden room divider

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker - first time poster here.

I have a wooden room divider which I wish to remove, which separates the kitchen from the dining room. It looks like an old door frame although the door has since been removed.

Image here:
http://imgur.com/TumGV
TumGV.jpg

I am happy to retain the wooden frame itself (marked in blue) but wish to remove everything in red to open the space up. The reason I am posting here first rather than reaching for the crowbar is that I am a little worried that the vertical wood (red) may be taking some weight from the structure above.

Reasons why I think it might be taking some weight:
1) External wall immediately above (the kitchen itself is a single storey extension)

Reasons why I don't think it is:
1) It's only a 2x4 vertical which butts straight onto the concrete floor with no fixings
2) The vertical is split to allow for a horizontal piece (as-per the red lines on the above image)

I do know that the ceiling joists are running perpendicular to the wooden frame as shown. So what do you guys think - am I being overly cautious here? Please do let me know if I have missed any required information.

Cheers,
Dave[/img]

Sponsored Links
Cut a strip of plaster away along the top of the frame, to see if anything's resting on the frame. If you don't, you (or anyone else) are just speculating.

Thanks Tony, that sounds like a logical suggestion to me - I assume you mean go up into the ceiling plaster?

Cheers,
Dave

It looks like the old back door into the garden, before the kitchen extension was built to me.

Sponsored Links
Nah - I should say that extension isn't the right word as it's original - but it is a single storey projection out to the front of the house.

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back