Remove boiler flue or leave in place?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some opinions regarding leaving an old boiler flue in place or have it removed.

I'm in a top floor flat on the 5th floor, my current boiler has a flue which goes through my attic and out the roof, I have easy access to the roof through a hatch.

I'm looking to get a new boiler fitted, one plumber wants to fit the boiler and run a flue horizontally out the wall from where the current one is in place. They want to cut back the old flue and cap it off in the ceiling and leave it in place as it would be another several hundred quid to get a roofer in to remove the flue.

Other plumbers I've spoken to indicate that is not the right way to go about it and if you change it to a horizontal flue the vertical one should be completely removed.

Do people think it would be ok to leave the old one in place capped off at the bottom, or are there regulations stating it needs to be taken away?

I've a feeling it might be a bad idea to leave it in case moisture gets into it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back