Remove external cavity skin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm currently buiulding a two storey extension under building control. After the extension the extisting external side of the house will be an internal wall. Current plans are to create a wide opening on the ground floor through to the new extended kitchen supporting the 1st floor walls on two Beams. As I will be inserting a vertical DPC where the old external wall returns into the house, is ther any reason why I can't remove this old external skin completely saving me a bit of space and the need for a second lintel? the only problem I can see is the extra effort and reduced stability of the remaining single skin? although it would be no different to any internal single skin wall? I'd run this past the BCO but just wondering if this was feasible?

regards

GP

Sponsored Links
Let me get this straight, (Had a few drinks so may be mis-reading it..)

You have an exterior wall 2 skins thick.
You want to remove one skin to give you a bit of space.
Are you removing the whole wall upto roof height?
If not then you would certainly need a lintel to support the upper brikwork.
Removing one of the skins would also put presure on the roof trusses as they would now bw resting on a single skin rather then 2.
IMHO, for the space you would gain it is not worth it. To gain an extra 4"-7" you would be making your roof unstable thereby making your house unstable.
Stick with 2 lintels and 2 walls.

As conny said unless you are significantly redesigning the existing roof structure it may not be feasible. There are of course ways around anything but i imagine the extra cost of drawings etc will make it expensive and building control will want an SE involved.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, I accept what you say, but I would intend to remove the wall all the wall in total so would save on the Lintel (which is likely to be quite pricey) and I will be having the roof rebuilt which will bear on the new extension cavity walls.

I'm more interested in saving on the 4m lintel than gaining the extra 150mm. Not even sure if I would bother myself but interested to know if it was feasible? Thanks for your response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back