Remove old fascia board or cover over??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to embark on the mission on new fascias, soffits and guttering.

My main motivations are:

1: Improve Appearance
2: Prevent the birds nesting in eves and edge of the roof (its busier than canarie wharf at the moment)

As an intermediate DIYer, I am not sure if going the whole 9 yards will be biting off more than I can chew. However, it seems that striping the lot off, and pulling back the first row of tiles is the only way to get a bird comb in.

Ideally I would just like to just cover the existing fascia boards but this still leaves me with the little b****rs in the roof!

Does anybody have any suggestions of an alternative method for blocking the birds?

Sponsored Links
You can still fix bird comb strips on top of the existing fascia timber. Or you can get the comb already fixed to eaves trays which you slide in place under the felt/tiles so you could still cover the timber with plastic.

If you can get hold of some decent safety staging/towers then give it a go. Doing a replacement job off ladders is blimmin' difficult

:)

Excellent, I didn't know I could fix a the bird guard without removing tiles. Thanks for your advice.

Do most building plastic suppliers have this type of bird guard or can I just use the standard type?

it seems that striping the lot off, and pulling back the first row of tiles is the only way to get a bird comb in

I meant you didn't have to strip all the fascia off, lol.

All you need to do is slide back the first row of tiles (if they are the big ones) and all you need to do is just buy the single strips and just nail them to the wood. It may be worth putting the trays in but for a quick fix you could just nail the single strips.

There is a place by us, dead cheap and they can post out to you for next to nothing. There called TPD its either 0121 311 2666 (or 2777 I can't think) If its wrong just google their name or something.

:)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back